Deep Air Training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a question/scenario that I haven't seen addressed regarding deep air training.

The usual response is if you can't get used to the effects and there are better ways to do it then why do it....we don't expose people to driving drunk so they can get better at it etc...

What if your dive plan was to dive a wall to 100 fsw on air or EAN 32? Let's say a downdraft or a bladder malfunction dropped your buddy to 150 fsw. Potentially now there is a higher level of adrenaline, anxiety, as well as narcosis involved.

You go down to help your buddy and it is the first time you have experienced all these factors. Wouldn't it be more prudent to experience at least the narcosis and learn to deal with it several times thereby reducing the anxiety before the real thing comes along with the attendant adrenaline?

Any training down to 188 fsw would be outside the oxtox range. I think an argument could be made that 10 dives to 150-180 fsw on air would be a prudent thing for anyone planning on diving regularly in the 100-120 fsw range. If you don't dive where a down draft or malfunction could take you to those depths then perhaps it isn't useful otherwise I think a good argument can be made.

My wife is going into labor unexpectantly...she calls me at the bar where I had 4 beers to drink. I make a judgement call and drive home in the car to take her to the hospital (insert any other similar scenario here). Wouldn't it have been prudent if I would have practiced driving intoxicated prior to this event...say 5-10 times just so I know what it feels like?

Doesn't make a lot of sense...does it?

Scuba and Dream:
My wife is going into labor unexpectantly.
CAD! What are you doing out at a bar while your poor wife is home alone and pregnant??? :D

But I quite agree with the analogy.

Even more so... the man in question is caught in some kind of current. Why do you feel you can beat it where he can't??? If the current has abated, then he has no need of your help. No need to create a second victim!

Scuba and Dream:
My wife is going into labor unexpectantly...she calls me at the bar where I had 4 beers to drink. I make a judgement call and drive home in the car to take her to the hospital (insert any other similar scenario here). Wouldn't it have been prudent if I would have practiced driving intoxicated prior to this event...say 5-10 times just so I know what it feels like?

What????

What would be prudent in this scenario is your wife calling 911 and ride to the hospital in an ambulance. You driving on 4 beers, risking your life, that of your wife, your baby's life and the lives of innocent bystanders is clearly not prudent.

Scuba and Dream:

No it doesn't and that is why I didn't use that kind of analogy. You could call a cab and by driving you are endangering other's lives. Going down to help your dive buddy is rather different.

pteranodon:
What????

What would be prudent in this scenario is your wife calling 911 and ride to the hospital in an ambulance. You driving on 4 beers, risking your life, that of your wife, your baby's life and the lives of innocent bystanders is clearly not prudent.
THAT'S THE POINT! Deep air dives can kill you. Just avoid them altogether!

NetDoc:
CAD! What are you doing out at a bar while your poor wife is home alone and pregnant??? :D

But I quite agree with the analogy.

Even more so... the man in question is caught in some kind of current. Why do you feel you can beat it where he can't??? If the current has abated, then he has no need of your help. No need to create a second victim!

He hit his head and needs some assistance.

gcbryan:
Any training down to 188 fsw would be outside the oxtox range. I think an argument could be made that 10 dives to 150-180 fsw on air would be a prudent thing for anyone planning on diving regularly in the 100-120 fsw range. If you don't dive where a down draft or malfunction could take you to those depths then perhaps it isn't useful otherwise I think a good argument can be made.

I'd just suggest that at least one member of your dive team be on Mix for each diver on Air.

If unexpectedly dropping from 100 to 150ft due to bc failure or downwelling currents is a concern for you I think it would be more prudent to review your weighting, equipment maintinence, and dive skills and emergency proceedures. It seems to me that going to 188ft on air is really exposing you and your buddy to high and unecesary risk.

How many times have you encountered a diver at 150 fsw, on a wall that has somehow hit their head?

Back
Top Bottom