Deep Air Training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
How many times have you encountered a diver at 150 fsw, on a wall that has somehow hit their head?

Exactly zero.

I assume he was suggesting that a ripping current suddenly came a long and knocked him head long into something.

Currents don't act like that or that fast. If we find someone unconscious in a pool we EXPECT a neck/head injury. Out in open water, even on a reef or a wall, we least expect a neck/head injury.

This misses the point of the current. If there is a ripping current and you try to assist the diver there may very well be TWO fatalities. Rule number one in any rescue scenario is to not put yourself into jeopardy. Exposing yourself to EXTREME depths and a RIPPING current sounds like you are breaking that rule twice.

Deep air kills.

Data from objective, published studies suggest there is no psychomotor or behavioral adaptation, in terms of measurable test or task performance, resulting from repeated exposure to depth. They also indicate that subjective adaptation does occur. A potential danger of this dissociation, of actual performance from perceived performance, is that &#8216;depth trained&#8217; divers do not perceive that they are impaired, although they are, and may make poor decisions regarding their ability to function at depth, resulting in injury or death to themselves or diving companions. Of course, one problem with drawing conclusions from these results is that the same tests demonstrate substantial inter-subject variability in the objective effects of narcosis on psychomotor and behavioral function, and in the subjective adaptation to narcosis. Some divers can demonstrate narcosis at relatively shallow depths (<100 ft), while others do not demonstrate substantive impairment even at depths normally associated with demonstrable narcotic effects (>150ft). That is part of the challenge of establishing guidelines for trimix use, for example. Some on SB won&#8217;t dive below 100 ft without it. Others apparently dive to 175 ft without it, and without documented performance problems and associated safety issues. Who is right?

Of course, an important by-product of this variability is that it gives SB posters something to argue about, just like the endless (and probably pointless) exchanges over the erosion of training standards, across agencies and over time.

Blackwood:
I'd just suggest that at least one member of your dive team be on Mix for each diver on Air.
The mix guy is the proverbial 'call a cab'...... (joke)

Logically, in total abstraction, there is no fault in preparing and practicing for an event. The realistic view brings dangers at that depth on air that may outweigh the benefits. No, it does not make sense to 'practice getting hurt'.

Better would be to prepare to go there if you need to: appropriate gas, volumes, skills and well thought through and trained processes. Then in the unlucky event of someone plundering down....... you have a way to safe the buddy, or yourself. Two people totally narked at 180ft on air may be funny down there, it will not be funny for two families, rescue divers etc.

I'm an extended range diver and have experienced deep air. My normally reliable buddy, who claimed he had never been narced, dumped all his ar from his wing at 150 feet, instead of adding a couple of bursts, and was kicking for all he was worth to stay off the bottom. He claims he doesn't remember it.

At 170 feet, I felt my entire scalp was buzzing. It felt like my eyebrows were standing on edge. It's not sometihng to fart around with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom