Deep Air Training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captain:
At 63 years of age I no longer have a desire or good reason to go below 130 on air but I have been there many times in my younger days sometimes on a weekly basis. Either I am a lucky or extremely smart barn yard animal. If I were 30 or so years younger I would be deep diving on tri mix but at this point I am happy to be able to dive at all.

captain,

Don't sell yourself short - Coutseau dived until his 80's. I know of at least five NAUI Course Directors, all now in their mid-60's, that are diving regularly. Johnny Richards, one the best North Florida cave instructors is 61.

You're an inspiration to all of us 50 year-old yunguns!

Dan

NetDoc:
Emboldening is mine. The original scenario is indeed on EAN32. Then we have the use of the word "prudent" in conjunction with a 150-180 fsw dive. They just don't go together.

No one has posited that your head would "explode like a pumpkin". That is a red herring intended to make the more cautious appear to be overly so. That said, there are a few of us who think this type of training is not only unnecessary, but poses an unnecessary risk as well. The careless and the impudent will probably not heed this warning.

You could just as easily have read it to read diving on air to 150 fsw. As I mentioned earlier I threw in the 32% so that a certain segment wouldn't post that air is for tires and 32% is appropriate to 100 fsw. I put in 180 fsw for the extreme limit so that someone wouldn't get off track about oxtox.

I put in the 10 dives as being prudent so that the topic wouldn't get off track as a post suggesting planning a deep dive on air was a good idea.

This was strictly about being on air and going deeper than planned due to some unforeseen circumstances. I believe most people while on air would go to 150 fsw to help a family member. If you had done it several times before you might even do it for a nonfamily member.

gcbryan:
You could just as easily have read it to read diving on air to 150 fsw. As I mentioned earlier I threw in the 32% so that a certain segment wouldn't post that air is for tires and 32% is appropriate to 100 fsw. I put in 180 fsw for the extreme limit so that someone wouldn't get off track about oxtox.

I put in the 10 dives as being prudent so that the topic wouldn't get off track as a post suggesting planning a deep dive on air was a good idea.

This was strictly about being on air and going deeper than planned due to some unforeseen circumstances. I believe most people while on air would go to 150 fsw to help a family member. If you had done it several times before you might even do it for a nonfamily member.
If I would risk my life for a family member? Hell yeah I would.
Would my family like me getting killed as well as the other family member? Hell no!

Back
Top Bottom