Deep Diver Cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just making sure, I am certified up to 130 ft having completed the course, correct? I am just double checking.

You need to add in environments that are the same as those in which you have been trained. This is a standard but very important disclaimer mentioned by all major training agencies.

It is totally different diving to 130 feet in 770 F water off the coast of the Big Island of Hawaii wearing a 3 mm wet suit with 50 - 100 foot visibility than it is diving to 130 feet off the coast of New England or New Jersey with a thick multi-layer wet suit or dry suit, 5 - 10 foot visibility and a water temperature of 420 F.

In other words, while the depth is important in both cases, the environments are vastly different and require additional skills that probably were not covered in your received your training in a tropical location (Florida, Hawaii, Caribbean etc.).

Also, based on the following description copied directly from the PADI web site it appears that one can get the Deep Diver certification at some depth greater than 60 feet.

"Deep Diver Course Details. The Deep Diver Specialty course offers you the opportunity of a lifetime - going deep to see things others can only dream about.In this course you will experience what it’s like to dive beyond 60 feet.. Down there, it’s different. It takes additional training. Here’s where you get it.. "

It looks like the depth requirement can be anywhere between 61 and 130 feet depending on the instructor.

There is a world of difference between 70 feet and 130 feet.

As a result, it appears that the answer to your question might be "maybe" depending on the quality of the training and how closely it mirrors the environment in which you intend to dive.

I do have one obvious questing.

Shouldn't this question have been answered by the training you received in the Deep Diver course?

If it was not I seriously question the quality of the training you received unless you zoned out when they were discussing this topic.

Last edited:
I did the Deep Diving class too and while technically recreational diving is up to (down to?) 130ft, most agencies recommend staying above 100ft. I agree with the other post that you should take other condition into account. It can get pretty cold and dark going deep.

I agree with ronbeau, conditions differ from one place to another. If you're going to do any deep dives in a new location I think it would be much wiser to take the tec approach and do some work-up/orrientation dives to get accustom to the area.

And yes, SSI Deep cert is for 130ft

Certified, and qualified, are two different concepts. Personally, I don't think that reading a book, watching a video, and taking a test qualify you for diving that deep. I have taken the course, and don't feel it's enough.

Most dive masters won't take you that deep without an Advanced Diver card. And, that requires 24 dives and 3 other courses.

Obviously, you can do what you want. I just think its a silly question to ask. If you have to ask, the answer is an obvious "no".

There's absolutely No way I'd pay any LDS to take me through a "Deep" cert. using 60' as our mod... thats just ridiculus... "simulated deep"... yeah well... let me just "simulate" paying you eh?

Whitestar Quarry goes to jus' about 80' ... its my main dive site and I dive the Crusher Pit (80') every time I get wet there... to Pay someone to basically tag along with me on one of my routine dives calling it a "Deep Cert" is a waste of all of our time.

You cant "simulate" experience.... your either Experiencing Deep.... or your Not... and if I'm Paying to experiene Deep under supervised/training conditions, then Thats what I should be getting, anything else is Worse than just ripping off the learning diver, its also giving him/her a False sense of security as they think they've Gained knowledge/experience when in fact they've gained Nothing...

I've already told my LDS that I have no interest in taking a "simulated" Deep course... (after I'd heard of another of his students being "instructed" in this fashion). He kinda hemmed and hawed about the logistics, but understood where I was coming from... Gilboa Quarry has depths in excess of 100' but apparently the owner there wont let you actually Dive past 100' unless you already have your AOW/Deep cert... (catch22 anyone?) ...

"But diving >100 is dangerous" .... yeah , which is why we take the course... to educate ourselves of the various dangers and minimize them.

Gilboa Quarry has depths in excess of 100' but apparently the owner there wont let you actually Dive past 100' unless you already have your AOW/Deep cert... (catch22 anyone?) ...

Just curious, Does he come and check your computer/guage? If he tried to check mine I would tell him to pound sand and that he could go get the scuba police to arrest me. :rofl3:

Just curious, Does he come and check your computer/guage? If he tried to check mine I would tell him to pound sand and that he could go get the scuba police to arrest me. :rofl3:

He can see where you are by your bubbles and if your over on the deepside without having filed a "deep plan" then Yes... he Can and Has called the police and people have been booted from the site.

Just making sure, I am certified up to 130 ft having completed the course, correct? I am just double checking.

If you took the SSI "deep" class, you can theoretically dive up to the 130' limit on the SSI NDL table, however whether you actually can (or should) depends entirely on you and your training and equipment.

I don't know whether or not this was covered in your class (it should have been) but at depths like that, you'll be dumb as a stump at the same time that you're in conditions that can easily make mistakes fatal. If you have any questions at all about your certification or skills at those depths, you need to talk to your instructor and maybe do a few more deep dives with him at the actual depths you plan on going to.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom