Deep Diver Cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to agree with others, here. A word of caution going to 130 ft. First, if you're in fresh water, your viz will probably stink (unless you're in a fresh water spring), so you'll need a light (and a backup). PLEASE don't just think you can drop on down to 130, if you haven't had a lot of experience below 90, as you'll probably get narc'd. Take it slow, down on different days to 90, 100, 110, 120, 130. Remember, you don't have squat for bottom time, so you need to double/triple check your air, as you'll be gobbling it up in mutliples, verse your surface consumption rate.

Everyone seems to think it's cool to go deeper. Truth be told, in the tropics, there's very little to see down deep. You've lost all of the colors down there (unless you re-light with a dive light).

Your skills better be spot-on, too. Make sure your octo is a good one, and that you're totally comfortable taking your mask completely off at depth, as need to fix all your problems at depth. At 130 feet, you're around 5 ATMs absolute, so you've got a whole world of stuff to be extra careful about. This isn't a place to find out your self-rescue skills aren't up to par, or your buddy skills, either.

My DM requires 2 dives at 60-100 and 2 at 100-130 in order to certify. And they have to be successful.

By successful, I mean, doing some skills, avoid getting narc'd (go slowly), taking the appropriate stops, etc.

SSI Goes to 130ft. I really think the required dives should be in the 120-130 ft range.
I also think it's only a good course to take if you do it at the right place. I had the pleasure of going to Hudson Grotto where It was cold, dark, low viz, and I got narced pretty bad on EAN28 at 115 ft. Made me respect being that far under water and boosted my awareness.

By successful, I mean, doing some skills, avoid getting narc'd (go slowly), taking the appropriate stops, etc.

It is'nt what your Cert. goes to, its your dive. Over the years for various reasons, some not so good, I've been around 130'. At depth you don't avoid getting narc'd, you try to understand if and when you are narc'd ( the '60's helped me a lot). Don't approach it like going to Trader Vics and having a few umbrella drinks and deciding you are not "really" drunk and ordering another round.

If you are going deep have your self awareness on full and self delusion on 0, or be ready for an interesting swim.

bob

On PADI STANDARDS, a deep dive is anything below 18Meters (metric) The DEEP dive cert for padi allows you to 40M (132 feet)

If you take the course, you should have been taken to as close to 40m as possible, and done a few tests to show you about Narcosis and such like. I would not pass someone on the course that had not been to as close as limit as possible.

I agree, 40m in tropical blue waters is absolutely nothing! Try it over here in Stoney Cove.
Bottom is 36m and is Darker than a witches ass, and colder than a penguins tadger!

What people have said is very true, the limitations are only as good as the conditions of the dive.

For example. some one who is qualed to 40m in tropical waters, would crap their breetches on a 40m dive here in our quarries.
Also a Deep Diver qualed to 40m doesnt mean theyre able and safe to dive a NIGHT DIVE to 40m.

The whole LIMITS are relative to a few other factors, and its something that i try and make sure all divers understand being certified to a level doesnt mean you HAVE to do that level all the time.

SSI Deep goes to 130 ft. I think the training should be conducted in difficult environments as well. I did mine around 115 ft, but in cold, dark, low viz, silty bottom place. I got narced pretty bad which I found a very humbling and intense experience. On the other hand I've been to 140 in gin clear water at 74 degrees with no narcosis and felt less stressed than that 115 ft dive. Conditions make a huge difference as most people have stated.

Which agency is that? PADI required 5 extra supervised dives, of which one had to be deep (> 18m) and one navigation. And of course the fee. I also got a book (Adventures in Diving). So theoretically, you can be an Advanced diver from PADI with 9 lifetime dives of which only one was deeper that 18m...

Dont forget about the most import part of this course.

ALWAYS DIVE WITH IN THE LIMITS OF YOUR TRAINING AND PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!

The PADI Advanced Open Water course is designed to expose you to new types of diving. You are only provided with a introduction to deep diving. Those interested in deep diving should follow the AOW course with a Deep Speciality Course.

In the Florida Keys many locations require documented logged deep dives in the last two years or a deep speciality.

In the end you are the only person who can decide if the training you have received is acceptable for diving in a given environment.

Heck in Mexico you can dive to 130' on your first dive following your open water course, doesn't mean you should though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom