Deep diving advice that goes against conventional thought?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I read this somewhere else and just don't understand it. This is written by someone with supposedly at least 1000 or more deep dives under their belt, everything written sounds like advice that would kill you, but if the poster is for real and this is what they do, they obviously aren't dead after apparently years of doing this:

------------------------------------------------
for the most part in spearfishing and diving deep on scuba your best to be on air at about the 240' and under. One of the things you can do when you're diving air to deep depths is you can come up from 240 feet really fast and once you hit like 110 feet then you slow down because the air bubbles are very very small that you built up, at this point when you Breathe bubbles out you do not want to pass them on your ascent.

Now the other thing is when you descend down and you know you're going to dive deep, you want to take as minimal breaths as you can, the more air you inhale the more nitrogen you inhale. Which also affects nitrogen narcosis, in other words if you would descend extremely fast and only take like 2 to 3 breaths to 200 feet or so, one you have a lot of air in your tank, two you can think clearly because you do not have nitrogen in you to get nitrogen narcosis to a degree.

Sometimes with the night before that rock described to a degree if you're not hydrated no sleep and a few other factors, even though you've accomplished to dive Deepair, air can be toxic at 220' and you can pass out.

So as I read the dive I would say that he passed out hit the bottom and was lucky enough to have his regulator in and kept breathing. at this point you are not doing anything vigorous so you're taking very small amount of Air in. He woke up look at his gauge and shot to the surface. whereas if you would've shot to 110 feet and slowed his ascent he might not have been unconscious when he hit the surface. But he would definitely have to take another tank and go down to decompress or go to the chamber.

And the thing is you don't know how to take care of the situation when you wake up because it seems like you were only down for a minute or two. I have lost some good friends in Lake superior because after they learned how to deep air dive and had very many successful dives, it happens all of a sudden.

Not everyone can do this it's part of your physics and how determined you are to be able to dive deep air. Myself I can go to 300'and it's actually pretty simple as you know once you get to depth you just start flying just like a jet, and then you hit the elevator button, then you check the situation out and start coming back to comfortable safe depth.
------------------------------------------------

So how can this be? Have you met any other divers who can do this will no ill effects for so long?

Where's the dang popcorn

---------- Post added March 10th, 2014 at 10:19 PM ----------

By minimizing your breathing doesn't CO2 buildup start to become a risk? As in skipping breaths or breath holds.

Deep air is dangerous and I will not further elaborate on this topic, there are millions of threads on this.

Quick ascents is not uncommon. I cover the first 100 ft of a deep dive (300ft) in less than 60 seconds using a buoy/reel.

Less breaths will not reduce narcosis. Why do high and very low RMV divers have the same deco schedule???? This is major BS and secondly working hard on fast descents and limited breathing causes CO2 buildup. Narcosis will "slow" you down whereas a CO2 hit will kill you.

thats was difficult to read straight trough, im a new diver and still learnin but that all sounded completely ridiculous

Concur.... some ridiculous statements quoted... showing some fundamental errors in understanding.

The fact that the author of those statements is not dead does little to validate what he says. Firstly, it's a sample size of "1". Secondly, it's a study of 1000 dives. So we can say that for 1 individual, there's a 'greater than 1/1000 chance of death using that approach'. That's all... meaningless numbers. If 1000 divers did 1000 dives with that approach, how many would die?

The best and worst part of the internet are the same point. EVERYONE can access the internet.

I have lost some good friends in Lake superior because after they learned how to deep air dive and had very many successful dives, it happens all of a sudden.

I think he says it all. You may think you "leaarn" how to deep air, you may think it's possible, you may have many successful dives and then one day you don't and you die.

Not everyone can do this it's part of your physics and how determined you are to be able to dive deep air. Myself I can go to 300'and it's actually pretty simple as you know once you get to depth you just start flying just like a jet, and then you hit the elevator button, then you check the situation out and start coming back to comfortable safe depth.

I'm sure all those friends of his who have died thought the same...

But true, people are different and have different physiology. I don't want to bet that I'm one of the exceptional ones...

The effects of nitrogen narcosis will vary from one person to another, and from one day to another with the same person. Water temperature, physical exertion, fitness and experience are mitigating factors; breathing rate is not. Nitrogen narcosis is a product of nitrogen partial-pressure, not volume.

There is a difference in the acceptable level of safety that Air provides at depth. Everyone will experience some functional impairment at 50 FSW; although diving over this depth isn't considered dangerous in-itself. The recommended maximum depth of 130 FSW for recreational diving is too deep for some divers and overly limiting for others.

Personally I'm comfortable using air to 200 FSW (250 FSW in a pinch), but this is dependent upon the complexity of the dive. I usually will opt for mix below 200 FSW or below 150 FSW in an overhead environment.

I believe that all divers should dive within their safe diving envelope. The SDE is dictated by the diving conditions present, the diver's training and experience, as well as his/her physical health and fitness. Every diver is their own bottom-line and they must determine what is acceptable risk to them.

If that diver did make 1000 deep dives using these techniques, he should buy a lottery ticket!

Just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read. To accept something like this blindly without other justification is reckless.
For me, I believe that the Maximum Operating Depth of air is 187 feet. Anything deeper than that and you have a higher risk of a CNS Oxtox hit and severely high PN2.

Please dive within the scope of your training. If you want to go deep, GREAT! Receive the proper training first.

I think the article was published a few weeks earlier than planned. It seems like an April Fools piece to me.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom