Deep outdoors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am thinking about switching from a jacket BCD to a BP&Wing and I have a few questions.

As a rec diver, what advantages would a BP offer me over a BCD?

What are the things that make Deep Outdoors better than OMS, Dive Rite, etc?

Thanks

scubaredneck once bubbled...
1. As a rec diver, what advantages would a BP offer me over a BCD?

2. What are the things that make Deep Outdoors better than OMS, Dive Rite, etc?
Mucho threads and posts in the archives on this one... you might want to do a search.

Direct answer from my experience:

1. Less drag and better weight distribution without the inherent buoyancy of many bulkier BCDs. Also much better for use with doubles should you want to go that route in the future. And, surprisingly... cheaper than Tech BCs. Add to all that the fact that they don't wear out and need replacing ($12 worth of webbing replaced maybe every 2~3 years when frayed.)

2. Probably not much... they are all on one side of the fence and the best is on the other (IMO.)

The wing of choice for single tank use is still the Halcyon Pioneer with its long, narrow and connected across the bottom shape. Plus you can use them without an additional single tank adapter... I use my 27# Pioneer with a heavy LP Steel 104 and the lock up with the Halcyon SS cam band buckles is solid!

UP wrote: they are all on one side of the fence and the best is on the other
Who would that be, Unc? The Halcyon of which you spoke?

:confused:

I recieved my Matrix harness today. Its a very nice piece of equipement. I know it dosn't meet DIR standards, but overall it is very high quality and I can;t wait to dive it.

What would you guys say is the BP/Wings set up that offers the most quality features for the least investment?

I am willing to bet that most responses will tell you that Halcyon is the only way to go and the only thing worth buying. For myself is was a matter of what I got the best deal on. If you happen to be interested in the Deep Outdoors stuff at all send me a PM.

Although there are a few people who feel that anyone that does not adopt their style of dive gear is wrong and a Darwin candidate.

I think the Halcyon Pioneer bladders are the best out there for singles. But the BP, harness, d-rings, cam bands? Most are very similar in material quality and price. Get the stuff that works for you - this is about diving, not a mercedes symbol around your neck :wink:

I have to agree i like the idea that you don't need an STA with a pioneer wing and if I had found a good deal on one i would have bought that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom