'deep stop' experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please explain. This makes no sense to me
Consider the series of events that leads a diver to find himself requiring emergency decompression. While a diver may simply forget to check his computer or watch, another likely situation is that he needs to perform emergency decompression because of a computer or watch failure.

Without a timing device, he may have no way to monitor the length of his emergency decompression stop. Unless his buddy is nearby, the only option left is to count out the minutes. If a diver finds himself alone and without a timing device, he may have to simply wait at the stop depth until he has used most of his breathing gas (hopefully exceeding the minimum required stop time) before surfacing slowly. Divers should be prepared for this possibility.

Most regulators have an analog depth gauge, but in an absolutely worst-case scenario, a diver relying only on a computer could find himself with no idea of his depth as well as his dive time. In this situation, an observant diver may be able to visually estimate his depth, but most divers would be hard pressed to hold themselves at exactly 15 feet with no depth gauge. At this point, the diver should make his best guess and estimate. Emergency decompression imperfectly done is still better than no emergency decompression at all.

I’m certain there are many on this forum that could have a cordial conversation with a tombstone. Long before I knew about George Jujitsu’s Ratio Deco on the fly, we were compromising our extended No Decompression Limits by stopping at 12 meters for a few minutes before ascending to 9 meters then to 6 meters to clear the Nitrogen bubbles. It’s apparent that ScubaBoard’s resident John Atlas was so immersed in carrying the Scuba world on his shoulders that he hadn’t seen the correlation between Buhlmann and DSAT algorithms for recreational divers. Anyone who has accidentally exceeded their NDL knows that the recreational dive computer becomes temporarily invalid. The other solution is to off-gas on O2, once onboard the boat, and that isn’t going to happen unless you bring your own gas.
LOL. What does this gibberish even mean?

Good dive operators have O2 onboard but they are not going to give it to every pre Madonna that exceeds their NDL. They will make you sit out the next dive. Next time you dive use a recreational computer, take it beyond NDL. Bring along a backup tech computer for safety.
Are you really a certified diver?
I doubt it.
Another non-sense came from you.
The only time the operator will sit out an diver is ignoring deco obligation on previous dive.
Everyone DC in the market over last 25yrs can handle simple deco calculation. There is no need to bring a back up tec computer for safety.
Tec computer????? I do not use one for my trimix dive!!!!!!!

You do not have a clue how to use a basic scuba computer let alone technical one!!!

In SB you can get banned for some reasons but not BS. They should make an exception for you.

Most regulators have an analog depth gauge,
Nonsense. Regulators do not have an analog depth gauge. Regulators and SPG's are separate pieces of equipment and many divers don't even use analog anymore.

Once again, it seems the 'deep stop' subject is an explosive can of worms... Utterly disappointing, even depressing... Are we all still in kindergarten ? Really...

Consider the series of events that leads a diver to find himself requiring emergency decompression. While a diver may simply forget to check his computer or watch, another likely situation is that he needs to perform emergency decompression because of a computer or watch failure.

Without a timing device, he may have no way to monitor the length of his emergency decompression stop. Unless his buddy is nearby, the only option left is to count out the minutes. If a diver finds himself alone and without a timing device, he may have to simply wait at the stop depth until he has used most of his breathing gas (hopefully exceeding the minimum required stop time) before surfacing slowly. Divers should be prepared for this possibility.

Most regulators have an analog depth gauge, but in an absolutely worst-case scenario, a diver relying only on a computer could find himself with no idea of his depth as well as his dive time. In this situation, an observant diver may be able to visually estimate his depth, but most divers would be hard pressed to hold themselves at exactly 15 feet with no depth gauge. At this point, the diver should make his best guess and estimate. Emergency decompression imperfectly done is still better than no emergency decompression at all.
This does not relate in any way to what you wrote and which I said makes no sense. In the original, you said that computers are not valid if you go into deco. Then you made a response about counting down from zero that I did not understand enough to paraphrase. In this reply, you reference someone going into deco because they weren't looking at the computer or the computer stopping altogether. None of that has anything to do with what you said about computers not being valid if you go into deco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom