Deep Stop on Dive over 100 ft? California Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as you understand that on a deep stop you are still taking up N2 in the slower tissue compartments, and your tables/computer compensate for it, no worries. Personally, I'd rather get shallow quickly and hang out in the sun. I don't need a gimmick to tell me if I'm exceeding ascent rates or any of that crap. So while it may not hurt, it doesn't help. And you use more gas the deeper you are.

And you use more gas the deeper you are.

Yea thats the dilemma, if I do a full 2 minutes at 85 ft it could cost me a whole dive on a shallow ledge around 35 feet.

Yea thats the dilemma, if I do a full 2 minutes at 85 ft it could cost me a whole dive on a shallow ledge around 35 feet.

Not true. 2 minutes at 85’ will cost you 5 minutes of gas at 35’:

Not true. 2 minutes at 85’ will cost you 5 minutes of gas at 35’:

That is a full dive on a ledge at 35 feet though. The vis will be horrible at that depth over here, maybe 3 feet. So you literally drop down, look under the ledge, and you shoot a gag or you don't.

Well, I think you're planning your gas too tight if you're worried about gas. I know you're spearing, and sometimes safety is secondary to getting that fish, but if you're doing 2 deep dives and some ledge diving, bring a third tank along.

Well, I think you're planning your gas too tight if you're worried about gas. I know you're spearing, and sometimes safety is secondary to getting that fish, but if you're doing 2 deep dives and some ledge diving, bring a third tank along.

I wish I could grab another tank fill but the dive shop is closed. No worries I would never compromise my safety, I will have that pony bottle with me and as long as all goes well I will still have it full at the end of the day, so I could run my tank dry and switch to the pony to surface.

I'm certainty not going to tell you how to dive, but if it were me, I would establish a turn pressure and even if the holy grail of fish swam passed me I would stick to my plan. I also dive with a pony on some deep dives but it's for emergency situations and never used to "surface" after I've used my supply.

I completely understand and I would never either on anything over a short 35 ft dive. I am also not saying I would do it even at 35 ft, just saying if I had enough air for a 35 ft dive, like I said we are just dropping down and them coming up, so if I got down there and shot a fish and it took me longer than expected I do have air to not only to come up but to also do a safety stop.

I am not really planning my air that tight either, if the end of the day comes and I don't have enough air I will chill on the boat. Just really wondering about that first 130 ft dive and if a deep stop was needed, if not save the air. The end of the day could come around and instead of 700 lbs in a tank, I could have 1200. Which would be the difference of another dive or not another dive.

I honestly don't know how to calculate my air that tight anyway I haven't done enough dives and I am still breathing heavy, although it is getting better.

In 35 ft I am not really too worried to be honest, I can free dive 70 feet, but free diving isn't fun to me so I almost always wear a tank.

Now that tomfcrist explained the ascent rate ...//...
I see that you are trying to 'economize' your dives. Fine with me.

Sorta been there myself once, got a lot of good advice on this board that I'll share. First, lose the deep stops and do really disciplined ascents. See how that works out for you...

Dive Computer Ascent Rates

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom