Deepest safe depth on air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cummings66:
I prefer people to think I'm competant and do not make mistakes, I hate to admit to them and this is one I'd rather not tell. I told it because maybe it might help somebody else to think about it. The event really humbled and scared me.

Safe is safe only if you are in total control of the event, and if you're narc'd you are starting to lose control. Losing control is one way to die.

Matt, I'm glad to hear that you have learned something from that experience. It is important that divers know their limitations and do not push the envelope. Your last line should apply to any dive that you know is beyond your skill level and not depend on anyone else to make the decision of whether you should dive or not. It is educational to read about life lessons, then have some read about what you did not do.

Dive Often and Dive Safelyeyebrow

H2Andy:
it'd be really hard to diagnose...

i don't think anyone can positively say that toxicity killed this or that diver, so...

it'd be chalked up to one of those "weird" things that have no explanation
(and, of course, cause of death will be listed as "drowning" :icorolley)
There have been lots of chamber tests for toxing out at depth. I could be way off on this, but I seem to remember reading about one person once toxing out at 2.0 in a chamber test.

String:
Truk is warm, clear water so generally not as "bad" as a cold deep dark high current narc.

Plus trimix isnt available so you want to do the divers there, air is the only real option.
Air isn't the only option, plenty of guys do rebreathers there. I will be on a rebreather next oct in truk :)

Rick Inman:
There have been lots of chamber tests for toxing out at depth. I could be way off on this, but I seem to remember reading about one person once toxing out at 2.0 in a chamber test.

yeah, the question was about the shallowest confirmed air 02 tox hit. do you
know if they've done chamber testing on this?

H2Andy:
yeah, the question was about the shallowest confirmed air 02 tox hit. do you
know if they've done chamber testing on this?
Oh, right. Don't know what the gas was, but it shouldn't mater.

Nope, don't know if they have tested for tox on 21%.

There are a handful of old-school Corsican divers who dive on air at depths well below 170 feet. They're professional Mediterranean red coral harvesters. Many have died, goes without saying. I recently saw a program on French TV of this guy in his 50s still doing it with his 7mm wetsuit and his double + a pony, going down to 100 meters. On air. He stays about 3 minutes picking the red coral off the ceiling of caves and rocks, fills his basket, shoots it up with his balloon and up he goes for 2 hrs and change. He's got his mate up on the boat watching his bubbles and as the time draws near the 12 meter deco stop, he throws him a hose running hot water that the diver slips in his wetsuit through the hood and a hookah. There are a bunch of stage bottles strung out from the 12 to the 3 meter deco stops along the ascent line, but I don't remember seeing much Nitrox or O2. Theses guys are legends, but like I said they don't live to be very old. The availability of Nitrox and more importantly Trimix will probably help the younger generation stay alive a little longer. If only the red coral could enjoy the same benefits...

Edit: I just watched the show again (I'd taped it) and the old Corsican dude was on Trimix, so my mistake (and that's probably why he's still diving - or alive). And he stayed 15 minutes at 104m, had one safety stop at 50m, then 25/12/9/6 and 3m.

If you have not read the books "The Last Dive" and "Shadow Divers", go to your local library and check them out. The dives recounted in those books will blow your mind.

Chip

Air to 200 Feet, beyond that it is not recommended. Narcosis is the problem with Air at these depths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom