Deepest solo yet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not my deepest ever but worthy. Last fall in Table Rock on the Kimberling City sunken bridge.

S00020.jpg

kimberlingbridges.jpg

I will not go back until I have a dry suit. Way to cold and dark down there.

Followed by this a bit over 110 in Table Rock to explore a return that looked odd. It was odd. I think this is it, I got some of my pics mixed up and I am confused. Sunken City.

S00038.jpg

Deepest solo this year was a bit over 110 feet in the Gulf to investigate another odd sonar return.
N

Jimmer,

Congratulations! That 100-foot mark is a big psychologcal landmark.

I just passed the 100-foot mark myself 2 weeks ago, soloing in Summersville Lake. It was completely dark below 85 feet. I had to turn back during my first attempt because the water was too cold (55 degrees). I put on my dry suit and went back down to 101 feet "just because it's there." (I had twin 80s with a manifold.)

Happy diving!

Psychological aspects certainly play a factor..for awhile, my deepest was 40', then I got comfortable with going deeper and deeper....and have now ventured to 73'..plenty comfortable at that depth at this point..but really haven't had a reason to go deeper yet..

Jimmer,

Congratulations! That 100-foot mark is a big psychologcal landmark.

I just passed the 100-foot mark myself 2 weeks ago, soloing in Summersville Lake. It was completely dark below 85 feet. I had to turn back during my first attempt because the water was too cold (55 degrees). I put on my dry suit and went back down to 101 feet "just because it's there." (I had twin 80s with a manifold.)

Happy diving!

See up here in Lake Erie we get the opposite. It starts off murky as hell, until you get past 85 feet, then you can see.

My deepest solo dive was 235 fsw last week on the E.M. Clark off Hatteras. Gases were 12/50, EAN 36, and O2; bottom time 20 minutes, total run tome 79 minutes. Prior to that I have made many solos dives in the 120-140 fsw range.

Chip Holcomb

Diving is better than talking about diving.

My deepest solo was 178 feet in Attersee, Austria. 42 degree water. Another solo diver in the water at the same time went to 270 ft and died!!! :depressed:

His doubles were empty and his stage was full and untouched.

My deepest solo was 178 feet in Attersee, Austria. 42 degree water. Another solo diver in the water at the same time went to 270 ft and died!!! :depressed:

His doubles were empty and his stage was full and untouched.

Are you trolling Padre?

Sounds like a decent dive. I hope you were DMing on this trip since it sounds like you didn't get to see much of the wreck. Until now I hadn't even thought about it, but all of my solo dives except one over the past year or so have been in the 95-100' mark. The one was a little deeper. But they've all been in caves so I guess I don't think about it in the same way. For me it's more about the distance to the surface. In which case, my deepest as far as that's concerned is...in the 4 digit range...

One day back when I had what I considered the proper gear, I did three dives solo with the average depth being 180 fsw. You can bet there was a lot of extended deco time and no reverse profiles on those dives. Some divers think I should be dead... and there are a few who probably want me that way. I do NOT recommend my deep diving exploits to anyone.

I wanted to add that my deep diving episode was triggered initially by a desire to "experiment" (I am a scientist after all) with the effects of narcosis. I took about two months of descending deeper and testing my reaction to it before I decided to undertake the period (about 6 months) of deep diving. Why did I continue it for that length of time? Because there were critters there I wanted to film for a "deep ecology" segment of my cable TV show, and since you don't get much bottom time at those depths, it took a lot of dives to get the footage.

Now I'm all into bottom time and therefore stay mostly above 100 ft.

Last edited:
My deepest solo dive was to 110ffw, but i was 2400' (40 min including deco) from the surface. Needles to say I had an Al80 sidemounted just in case.

Back
Top Bottom