Define 'open water'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pt40fathoms once bubbled...
In contrast when one of us goes to the clear ocean for the first time, the most common report is "H*ll, I was at 180 and looked up, saw the boat and the people jumping in, the only way I knew I was deeper than I should be is because the dive master grabbed me and pointed to my depth gauge". More than one of us "mud" divers have felt out of place for the first dive or two when we hit water so clear, it's like looking through air. We get so used to seeing the light fade as we descend, when we fail to see that queue, that seems so natural to us, we get a little disoriented and have to adapt.

That's why we have several dead divers each year. They come as lake/river divers, descend too deep without realizing how deep it really is. When they look at the instruments they panic (too deep, low on air) and ascend too fast. The end.

In most cases they dive without local DMs.

only God can open water!! :wacko:

Lol

Drew Sailbum once bubbled...
<snip>

"Confined water refers to either a swimming pool or an open water site that offers swimming-pool-like conditions with respect to clarity,calmness, and depth.
1.The depth of the confined water site used for a particular session must allow student divers to meet all performance requirements outlined for that session.
"

<snip>

LOL. By that definition we don't have any confined water in Holland. Unless of course you filled up the pool with milk for training in. :)

R..

svidlano once bubbled...

That's why we have several dead divers each year. They come as lake/river divers, descend too deep without realizing how deep it really is. When they look at the instruments they panic (too deep, low on air) and ascend too fast. The end.

In most cases they dive without local DMs.

Exactly! As I stated in at the end of my post, dive with someone familiar with the new site. Failing that, take your time, enjoy the scenery, remember the basics, and don't push limits.

It's always preferable to learn from the mistakes of others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom