Deflation in the Scuba Market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The quotation "Give me the child, and I will mold the man" is ascribed to both St. Ignatius of Loyola and St. Francis Xavier. Whether or not the quotation is accurate, the sentiment behind it rings true to me. I cringe to say it, but in terms of getting numbers of new divers, PADI has gotten it right - get them young (scuba diver merit badge) and get them on vacation (discovering scuba) [Edit: this applies to you if you are an LDS in a warm place, not to LDSs near cold water.]. I would suggest that LDSs get in touch with local high schools and universities to offer new divers a taste of diving. Have a diving demo and experience at your local county fair. Once you have them for training, be prepared to match or nearly-match the prices of on-line shops since the younger generations are very net savvy and don't have too much disposable income.

but with my simple 9 pumps, we were making a few pennies per gallon.

Are you saying the credit card transaction fees are greater than you profit?

For some reason there's this sense of entitlement among lots of people that diving should simply "be cheaper." As a consumer I would love it if that were the case. As a marketer I know that the answer is to create an environment where people willingly pay the asking price. If someone complains about price it doesn't mean the price is too high, it simply means they don't want the product badly enough. That's an easy fix from a marketing standpoint - if you're willing to tackle it properly.

I was tricked into the sport. I don't know if I would have started if I had known the full cost. :D

I don't own a dive store, but I have to deal with retailers .... some of them.

Granted the fact that the economy is currently "not brilliant" could be one of the justifications for the current state of the diving industry (an out of job father will think twice before to sign up wife and children for scuba diving :depressed:).

But I think that there is something else wrong going on in this industry (btw, I am quite new in the industry so I don't claim to know a lot about it).

I think this industry needs to implode ... and re-emerge in a different shape and form.

From a customer point of view, here you have "product" and "service" mostly in the hands of the same group of players.

To drive a car I need: a car, instruction, service and gas (plus of course the desire / need to go somewhere .... but let's leave this aside for now)

To dive I need: gear, instruction, service and gas (a different type of gas :D)

In the car example, to buy I car I can choose between new and used and tour the tens of dealers in my area. For instruction I just flip the yellow pages (btw, how much does it cost to learn to drive here in USA ?). For service ... plenty of shops in town (and why fixing the brakes of my car is cheaper than changing a couple of o-rings in my regulator?). Finally for gas ... a station every few miles in the city and every few tens of miles outside. And btw ... no one asks for my driver license to fill my car :D

But when it come to diving ... to learn to dive I need to go to the store that want to sell me gear first, then to fill my tank I need to go back to a dive store and show a license ... if I did not buy gear from them recently they stare at me ... so I feel I need to buy something again ... of course they remind me that it is time to service my gear ... and when I see the tab I wonder why I did not buy a new piece instead :(

This industry need a new model ... where I can go and buy gear independently from where I want to learn .... independently from where I want to get my gear serviced .... independently from where I want to refill my tanks.

Day dreaming ?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

But I think that there is something else wrong going on in this industry (btw, I am quite new in the industry so I don't claim to know a lot about it).

I think this industry needs to implode ... and re-emerge in a different shape and form.

From a customer point of view, here you have "product" and "service" mostly in the hands of the same group of players.

I think they are two different models. The car model is driven by quantity of scale and the other is labor intensive.

The dive industry may not need to implode but I think the new manufacturer's shape and form should include additional service. They may provide a limited warranty but, for example, the manufacturers should put product specifications on their websites. It is difficult to even find the travel weight of the product let alone performance metrics.

But when it come to diving ... to learn to dive I need to go to the store that want to sell me gear first

I never understood that business model.

If I'm a beginner/vacation diver, why would I buy several thousand dollars of gear just to get started when renting it is a lot cheaper, and more convenient for travel?

(btw, how much does it cost to learn to drive here in USA ?).

Apparently not nearly enough because there are way too many bad drivers in this country. Sorry for the off-topic post, I counldnt help myself

A very good thread so far

why would I buy several thousand dollars of gear just to get started when renting it is a lot cheaper, and more convenient for travel?

Because your spouse says: I want my own wetsuit because someone pee'd in that one; I want my own regulator because it's my life support; I want my own BC because it would fit better; I want those fins so my legs don't cramp; I want my own boots or my feet will hurt; I don't want to dive tables; ...

But rentals *are* possible in most areas, no?

I certainly don't see the problem with shops offering gear for you to buy. I'm going to assume people should do their homework and recognize whether renting or buying is best for them.

I never understood that business model.

If I'm a beginner/vacation diver, why would I buy several thousand dollars of gear just to get started when renting it is a lot cheaper, and more convenient for travel?

Because your spouse says: I want my own wetsuit because someone pee'd in that one; I want my own regulator because it's my life support; I want my own BC because it would fit better; I want those fins so my legs don't cramp; I want my own boots or my feet will hurt; I don't want to dive tables; ...

Maybe you can get a good deal on a trade-in.:D

There are two kinds of people involved in diving. Those whose livelihood depends on selling gear or services and ones that use diving. While either side is passionate about diving itself.. same or similar financial concerns mean different things to different people sitting on either side of the fence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom