Defog formula

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This method equals about 28 to 58 minutes of unnecessary work. Don't use a brush, use a cloth or your fingers instead, and you'll get the same result after scrubbing for a couple of minutes. Unless you are REALLY bored and/or into mindless, tiring activities, of course...

:D

I have a new atomic mask I really like but it is driving me crazy with fogging issues.. I've scrubbed it out at least 15 times with my fingers and I'm still having problems.

I'm willing to dedicate the time to using the tooth brush. Hopefully that will work for me.
I guess different companies apply different agents and amounts?

Toothbrush :confused:

Many of the operators I have worked with use soft scrub and a scrubby pad designed for teflon pans. Even the predominantly cheap generic distributor masks (Sea Sport here in Hawaii) in the rental gear last for years and thousands of dives after being prepped for diving this way.

I and many of my peers have put our expensive brand names through the same treatment with the same results. You can rub toothpaste with your fingers until the foam is slightly pink (blood:), then rinse and repeat, and still not get the job done as well as a few easy minutes with soft scrub and a teflon safe scrubby.

Even after that, if you wear your mask on your forehead while setting up your gear and constantly breath out through your nose during the dive you may get fog. It may not be the mask's fault!

I just got a new Atomic framless mask. All I did was rub tootpaste with my fingers two different times, maybe 3 minutes each time. Didn't have any fogging issues at all once I started diving it.

I see so many people giving the different application and mixture methods for baby shampoo and then saying they rinse the mask. The whole point with baby shampoo, whatever strength you use it, is that the reason it works so well is you leave it in your mask! Don't rinse it out!

It's formulated not to hurt an itty bitty baby's eyes. I wear contact lenses while diving...it's fine. I make a mixture of 50/50 No More Tears and water. I spray it in my mask with a spray bottle from Walmart...then I put the mask on.

It's never hurt my eyes and my mask has never fogged.

I see so many people giving the different application and mixture methods for baby shampoo and then saying they rinse the mask. The whole point with baby shampoo, whatever strength you use it, is that the reason it works so well is you leave it in your mask! Don't rinse it out!

It's formulated not to hurt an itty bitty baby's eyes. I wear contact lenses while diving...it's fine. I make a mixture of 50/50 No More Tears and water. I spray it in my mask with a spray bottle from Walmart...then I put the mask on.

It's never hurt my eyes and my mask has never fogged.

I agree. I wet the mask first with clean water then apply ful strength baby shampoo. I want just a little wetness to help it level. It may dry hazy but as soon as it hits the water sheeting condensation will fix that. In season the mask is often wet enough in the case that no water is needed.

I had an interesting dive a few weeks ago. I rarely wash my mask preferring the shampoo to build up like seasoning on a good cast iron skillet. Well here I am diving along in fresh water and after an hour I need to blow my nose for sinus snot. So I block a nostril and clear 1/2 my head and repeat. This agitated the sheeting water enough to build a lather. The soap lather then started to build up on my cheeks and I could feel the foam bubbles bursting against me in a weird way. I finally flooded the mask to flush it out. Salt water must be a better bubble inhibitor. This has happened a few times before but always on long dives in fresh water.

Remember that cleaning a mask and applying defog are 2 different though related processes. What works for me is here.

Pete

Something I wrote for another forum:

zippsy:
We get so many questions about why scuba masks fog and what works best in stopping the fogging that I figured it may help if I cut & paste my primary school dissertation paper here. Teachers can feel free to make corrections. I only got a C+ the first time around anyway. Others can add on.

Why do masks fog?
Masks fog because you have warm moist air enclosed in a space that has relatively cold glass as one of the sides. One time when you visit a cold country in winter, get close to a window inside a house and blow gently on it. Guaranteed fog up. When the warm moist air touches the colder glass, the temperature is reduced at that spot and the air can no longer hold as much moisture. Cold air does not hold as much moisture as warm air so it drops off the excess moisture onto the glass inside your mask. The glass surface is almost the perfect surface for the water molecules to form and combine just enough to make the drops big and plentiful enough to look like fog / condensation.

What is fog?
The fogging on your mask is the moisture from the air forming small droplets on the glass. The droplets may be tiny but they are also shaped like semi-spherical drops packed closely together. The bumpy surface makes it near impossible to focus through although light does pass through the droplets. The light just gets twisted around in every different direction by the bumpy surface.

So how can you stop the fogging?
You have a couple of options here. 1) take the moisture out of the air in your mask. Well that's not so easy or good since you will need to be totally dehydrated for that to happen. 2) take the heat out of the air in your mask. Ewww, another bad option since the lack of body heat likely means you are deceased. 3) make sure the water on the other side of the glass is not so cold. Strike three – we don't usually like diving in 37 degree Celsius water. Having said that, not exhaling through your nose with help lower the first two problems but you still have to do more.

The best option to stop the fogging is to make it harder for the water droplets to form on the glass in the first place. If instead of droplets on the glass, you could get a thin film of water, you would be better able to see and focus through it. You can do this by covering the inside of the glass with a surfactant. What the hell is that?!?! A surfactant is a solution that reduces the surface tension of water. Basically, when a surfactant is on the glass, those semi-spherical droplets of water that make up the condensation will quickly flatten out, combine and form a thin flat layer of moisture.

That's the good news but where do you get surfactant? Soap, laundry detergent, shampoo, etc. all contain the compound and are normally used to separate out dirt and oil from whatever they are cleaning. Commercial products for diving like Sea Gold also have it. Your lungs are full of a biological form of it to keep your lung passages open. Some of that gets into your spit but the amount varies from person to person. That's why spit works for some people and not others or it works better at different times for the same person. If you have a cold and you manage to dig deep down for a real guttural spit, you will be sure to get plenty of surfactant!

What about a new mask? They usually have a silicone film on the surface to help keep them looking pretty until you buy them. The film is also said to help protect against mildew. Unfortunately, the same properties that help it to look good also inhibit the ability of the surfactant to work properly. That's why you have to remove the film by scrubbing with a toohpaste (not gel) for 10-15 minutes. If you then use some sort of surfactant before each dive, you should be able to avoid fogging.

Clear as mud now, right?

HJM is right . . . you don't "rinse the shampoo out".

What you do is get it only moist and viscuous enough to spread even across the inner surfaces of the lens/lenses, thus creating a non-fogging surface.

the Kaken Spit guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom