Glass cleaner for defog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Wininger

Registered
Reaction score
My goto defog is Sea Vision Professional Defog spray. It's what I used first and is my goto, no complaints with drops or toothpaste, just my goto... Everytime I use it, I swear it smells like windex. Makes me wonder if it is an ammonia free glass cleaner or if anyone has tried a glass cleaner for defog...

In actuality, defog puts a layer/film on the glass to prevent the adhesion of moisture droplets. I'd think the cleaner would make it worse as it removes all films...

Seasoft has a spray defog in a blue bottle. Smells like margaritas.

A few months ago in Roatan the dive shop we used was using Simple Green and assured us it worked well for defogging. They said they started that when Covid hit and they were having a hard time getting baby shampoo. No thanks, I’ll stick to my baby shampoo. I’m not putting disinfectant or any other cleaning product in my eye, even if it is diluted with water.

why not baby shampoo?
been using that for decades

Same here. Small bottle of 50% baby shampoo and 50% water (roughly) works great for me. Key is to not rinse it once applied, or to not rinse much. I tend to use the 50/50 defog, not rinse it on the boat, and then do a light rinse early in the dive by letting in a bit of water, sloshing it around, and then clearing the mask. Works like a champ for me.

My goto defog is Sea Vision Professional Defog spray. It's what I used first and is my goto, no complaints with drops or toothpaste, just my goto... Everytime I use it, I swear it smells like windex. Makes me wonder if it is an ammonia free glass cleaner or if anyone has tried a glass cleaner for defog...
@lowviz has experimented with ammonia as an anti-fogging treatment. Maybe he can shed some light on this. See, e.g., Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Makes me wonder if it is an ammonia free glass cleaner or if anyone has tried a glass cleaner for defog...
I'd be careful about using any glass cleaner inside a mask that could possibly irritate eyes.

If you want something really environmentally friendly, check out Stream2Sea’s defog. Used it exclusively on my MX cave diving trip recently and it worked fab. No fogging at all. Little goes a long way.

Back
Top Bottom