Glass cleaner for defog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@lowviz has experimented with ammonia as an anti-fogging treatment. Maybe he can shed some light on this.
Ammonia is known to make glass "water loving" aka hydrophilic. CN105669051A - Super-hydrophilic glass preparation method - Google Patents

Water sheets on hydrophilic glass thus there can be no fog. If water is repelled by hydrophobic glass then it beads. Small beads are seen as fog.

I'm currently experimenting with ammonium carbonate as an ammonia source. Stay tuned...

Since i've yet to find a mask that doesn't eventually leak, mask fogging has become something I'm unfortunately well versed in. The defog from Mako is the stuff I have found that works the best and can survive some mask clears as well.

@Divin'Papaw, That patent just shows that ammonia works at eliminating fog. Ammonia alters the glass surface. Problem is, the treated glass gets oily/dirty very fast and goes back to fogging. A run through a dishwasher will get you back to good.

Bottom line: Ammonia treat the glass, WASH well, and then use your fav defog until the crud needs to be removed by a dishwasher. Ammonia treating does not remove the need for defog it makes the glass surface water-loving. This also aids adhesion of the defog of choice. (spit works)

there is a reason the "museum glass" used in my artwork in my home should never be touched with ammonia....

Copied from the museum glass tru-vue.com site:
As Jim DeCoux, R&D manager at Tru Vue’s Fairbault facility describes it, “It’s like car wax. The surface repels water, making it easier to wipe off and clean.”

Ammonia does the opposite, it makes the surface attract water.

My solution is to use what ever defog product available, but never ever touch the glass with your fingers. I keep a tooth brush in my mask box and spread the defog with it. Fingers put oil, sunscreen, or other contamination on the glass that cause fogging.

This is what happens when you use the boats defog...make sure you bring your own

Attachments

• Maskbubbles.jpg
    Maskbubbles.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 54
I use my spit.... aka Saliva Brand. Always have it. Can't forget it. All natural. Free. Works great... Although, I have heard that if swallowed in small measured quantitates over an extended a period of 50 to 100 years.......it can eventually cause death.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom