Defog--what works best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spit!! Only thing that has always worked everytime. Also I never forget it or run out. If you do run out it might be wise to not dive that day :wink:

I've used 500 PSI for years and works great for me. I just did a weeks worth of diving in Bonaire and didn't defog but 3 times and never had a problem. Use whatever works best for you. If spit works then you have a cheap alternative but mine doesn't seem to do the job.

I think one will find that all the de-fogs on the market work. Its just a question of which you prefer. I personally do not have a preference. I think one works just about as well as another.

Something worth noting is the cause of fogging is dirt, contamination, make-up, etc, that has found its way onto the mask glass.

The point being, if your mask is clean, it will not fog.

After cleaning my mask (using joy liquid, soft scrub, or those little bottles of hair shampoo found in the hotel rooms), I apply a common scuba store de-fogger. I usually clean my mask and apply the de-fogger, the morning of the planned dives.

The boats usually have a mask bucket full of water. I place my mask in the bucket in between dives and do not make a second application of de-fog before the second dive.

ps: I have started using a mask sealer (sold in scuba stores). It is applied to the inner lip of the silicon skirt. I have found that I can wear my mask much less tight and still have a very good seal. It comes in a little tube, like Chap-Stik, and applies similar to vasoline. It drys faster than vasoline and develops a tackyness.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Where can i get myself 25 litres of this mask sealer ? :)

In Hawaii we used leaves from a naupaka tree, and that worked just fine.
So, I recommend you grow a naupaka tree and plant it in a small pot so you can transport it to dive sites. Pull off a couple leaves smear them in your mask and voila natural defog.

spit mate, works a treat, totally organic, no damaging chemicles and a lifetime supply for free. Wire me 20 bucks and I'll send you a pot of it if you like

Any soap will work. Liquid dish soap works best, but it will burn your eyes if you aren't careful. Johnson's No More Tears works almost as well and doesn't burn.

To be most effective, start with a dry mask. Next put a small amount of shampoo (do not water it down) in the mask and rub it around. Let it dry in the mask. If you can put it in a week or two ahead of time, that's not too soon. Rinse it out just before you get in the water and don't rinse it much. When rinsing, avoid the mask bucket in which everyone else has already sloshed their masks. I usually don't rinse my mask until I'm in the water.

PSI 500 never fails, Aua Sphere works great too if you don't like the gel texture of the PSI. Both are sold here: Scuba diving books and apparel Having said all that and shamelessly plugged our website - nearly half the time I end up leaving my defog in the truck and spit in my mask anyway...

50/50 mixture of generic baby shampoo and water....works like a charm, and doesn't give your eyes nasty chemical burns!

Back
Top Bottom