Delaware Water Gap Mishap takes one life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before everyone starts crucifying the instructor, keep in mind that there have been many accidents and several fatalities in the "ideal" conditions of Dutch Springs during training.

Looking at the river this weekend from the window of my girlfriend's apartment just down river from the Water Gap, I thought about diving and I wouldn't call conditions unsafe for diving nor training. Cold, yes. But, that is relative to one's tolerance. We weren't there and we cannot possibly Monday morning quarterback this to assess or absolve blame.

Special Rules for Accidents & Incidents Forum
The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.
(5) No "condolences to the family" here. Please use our Passings Forum for these kinds of messages.
(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.
(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such.
(8) If your post is about legal action that concerns a mishap, use the Scuba Related Court Cases forum.
Thanks in advance,
Rick
Let's see if we can bring this thread back to the mishap itself and possible causes, lessons to be learned and how we can avoid a repeat...
Take all the sealawyering and blamestorming elsewhere.
If it's an embolism, that would likely be caused by the diver holding his breath on ascent; if a CVA, that could be precipitated from overexertion trying to outswim a current in a heavy wetsuit, and hypothermia.
Those are the only two scenarios that leap to mind from the mishap description so far.
If the ME releases any finding other than "drowning" that would be helpful.
Rick

Let's see if we can bring this thread back to the mishap itself and possible causes, lessons to be learned and how we can avoid a repeat...
Take all the sealawyering and blamestorming elsewhere.

Agreed, but accident analysis has to consider the conditions surrounding the event in addition to the actual physiological causes. In this case, several "norms" weren't followed, from the apparent waving of standards by the certifying agency at the request of the instructor, to the changing of dive sites.

These questions can certainly appear to be aimed at laying blame, but because they appear to have played a key roll in the accident (the current being specifically mentioned in at least one of the articles), they are legitimate issues to analyze.

But I agree, as Trace said, it's easy to Monday morning quarterback. More information will undoubtedly follow, which will hopefully facilitate the avoidance of an accident like this in the future.

Dutch Springs is closed for the 2010 season. You can gain access to Dutch during off-season if you're an instructor. I don't know what the criteria is to gain access to Dutch during off-season but know you must have an instructor make the arrangement.

Dutch does open for an annual New Years Eve dive on Dec 31st but you must be out of the water by 2PM.

I think it would be in poor judgement to take OW students there( Dutch) this time of year. It would be asking for trouble. The Delaware Water Gap is also a bad idea especially this time of year.

Deepest condolences to his wife and family. I'm a complete novice, but familiar with the area and I was just very surprised that this was an OW class. I assumed when I first read the article it was a dry suit class, maybe a drift diving class, maybe underwater navigation -- but an OW certification dive just struck me as odd. I know I wouldn't have felt comfortable finishing up in the Delaware Water Gap in December.

Just to play Devil's advocate in regard to the choice of site and the conditions ...

Key questions:

1- Why was this class conducted in this location - a relatively shallow river with limited visibility and known currents? Virtually all other Open Water classes at the shop were conducted at a popular quarry just 1 hour away (from this location) in Pennsylvania (Dutch Springs), and other, even closer locations exist which would be more appropriate to teach an Open Water class.

As was mentioned Dutch Springs is closed for the season with the exception of a couple instructor weekends and special events such as the New Year's Eve day dive. It is true that instructors can request to get students into Dutch Springs after the season, but such requests must be made well in advance and aren't always granted due to staff scheduling, maintenance, or the group size wouldn't warrant the cost of opening for the day. Sometimes, instructors who are heavily supportive of Dutch, behave professionally, have a track record of getting their people out of the facility on time, or do favors for Dutch may get into Dutch with a small group.

Divers who dive the Delaware River often see a variety of conditions regarding visibility and current. The visibility can be quite good and the current is most often mild at the Delaware Water Gap. Unless the river is high and really moving (conditions adverse to diving) you can avoid current by staying near the river bank. The train wreck, for example, rarely has a current unless you swim toward the center of the river.

I'd be more concerned with depths of 114 feet at Narrowsburg, NY or 55 feet on the bottom of the river at the train wreck than with "shallow water" since every foot of depth increases the risk potential. Open water courses are conducted in areas along the east coast with worse visibility, current, surge, and strong tidal changes.

2- What was the justification for conducting an Open Water class in a single dive, and how was that even possible? I admittedly don't know NAUI's standards, but PADI requires a minimum of 4 dives.

I would venture a guess that the reason would be due to the cold diving conditions. Every cold water and winter conditions diver knows the hardest thing to do when diving in the cold is to suit up and go back in. I've seen many instructional dives last just 20 minutes at Dutch Springs. If the instructor planned to do 4 dives at 20 minutes each, then that would be 80 minutes of bottom time. In this case, the instructor probably planned to complete all skills in one dive that lasted about 80 minutes. This would allow the group to deal with being wet and cold once then get dry and warm. The students would lose 4 practice descents/ascents and lose time to rest, but the minimum skill requirements could still be performed.

I don't agree with it. Not the best scenario by far, but I know several instructors who could teach more in one dive than most who are running the typical class. I don't know the instructor and I can't speak for his teaching abilities, but if it had to be done, the bottom time could be the same as that of 4 dives. My concern would be lost opportunities for descent/ascent practice, breaking down and assembling equipment, and loss of educational opportunities between dives. However, even if the instructor planned 4 dives, the accident could have occurred on dive #1.

3- How does a PADI and NAUI Course Director, with Technical instructor experience, over 5000 dives and several hundred student certifications, with the help of a Dive Master, fail to maintain a group of two students? A husband and wife, no less, who will naturally want to stay together.

I once ran a refresher for a husband and wife who were very much in love. You'd need a crowbar to separate them topside, but underwater was another story. He liked to sink into the abyss. She liked to hit the button that saves. They tended to do this at the same time. My DM really earned his poor pay that day! Instructors lose students with 50 feet of visibility at Dutch. In 15, 10 or 5 feet of visibility sometimes 3 seconds of distraction can split a team. It happens when we assume someone will behave a certain way. For example, you see one buddy engrossed in looking for arrowheads on the bottom kneeling still. You take 3 seconds to adjust a piece of equipment on another student - poof! You drift a foot one way, the student fins 2 feet another, if you don't catch it one more fin kick and there's 5 feet. High visibility colors help. A DM may get used to sticking with the weaker student and still remain buddied with that student if you adjust gear. The DM may also naturally want to help you adjust something or focus on what you are doing and take eyes off the other diver just long enough for separation to occur. A pretty common scenario for a DM to lose total awareness would be having a dive flag line snag on his or her own equipment. The DM focuses on clearing the entanglement rather than being able to multi-task and maintain team while performing a self-fix. Sometimes you are at the top of your game. Sometimes you are not. Cold water makes instructors and DM's lethargic as well. Reaction times are dulled. Dive pros can become more passive. In warm water, I am more participatory and "hand's on" in my classes. In cold water, I tend to observe more and signal or demonstrate less often. Basically, in cold water you are more likely to drop the ball much like NFL players do after October.

4- Assuming (and I'm speculating) the necessity to get certified in December, in the North East, was because the couple had a vacation planned, why wasn't a standard referral given so they could have completed their training in better conditions?

I often have students who believe they need to take a class in the worst case conditions in which they will dive. It takes some convincing to get them to want to dive in warmer, calmer water that is more conducive to learning and safety. Maybe they wanted to learn to dive in lower visibility with currents? Maybe they didn't want to lose time on vacation to training? Maybe the instructor needed money to pay bills and convinced them it was a good way to learn?

While this could be a tragic case of a diver panicking or suffering from some unknown health-related issue, it's hard to see how the conditions didn't exacerbate the situation. I can only hope the tragic loss of such a young individual leads to some improvement in train standards, be that on the part of certifying agencies apparently willing to bend their own rules, or instructors seeking the bending of rules for primarily reasons of convenience and/or profit.

While I wouldn't want to teach a class in such conditions, 40 F water is not an uncommon temperature for open water courses in many northern waters. The cold water could certainly exacerbate many situations. Accidents happen in ideal conditions. Safe dives are made in rough conditions. The farther we get from 1 foot of water in 86 F in 200+ visibility in zero current at the Equator, the more we begin to assume risk. Cold creates a greater potential for accident. We can keep creating standards such as no training below 50 F. Then when an accident happens the standard could move to 60 F. Then, 70 once 60 becomes "cold" etc. We can do the same for visibility, wave heights, etc. Then, when accidents still happen in our Utopian dive world, it will be time to take away the next cause of accident or injury.

The most likely scenario is that an instructor looked at the weather and conditions, looked at the ability of the students, and looked at his bank account and decided to run a class truly believing everything would be fine. He probably wanted to make their dive as comfortable as possible in winter conditions and asked the agency to allow him to complete all skills in one long dive. The agency probably thought of how miserable the students would be and wanted to make the instructor happy and not have him cross-over in these tough economic times and approved one dive based upon the amount of training in the pool and class they were told the students had. The students ultimately decided to dive even though they could have said, "No way." Everyone, I'm sure, expected everything to be fine because most times they do go fine. Everyone probably wanted to have a good time. Unfortunately, something went wrong. A fatal accident happened in shallow water. Accidents are often a chain of events. In this case the accident chain pertains to several of the factors you mentioned. Yet, around the world many divers are successfully trained in similar conditions which is why I wouldn't call the conditions "unsafe."

The conditions were certainly part of the accident chain.

A quick chime in from a new diver trained in this neck of the woods and who has all 11 of his dives at Dutch Springs, all in the "cold" of 50 degree water temps...

I came to SCUBA as a strong and experience snorkeler. Maybe it's the training from class or my desire to go back to snorkeling, but I switch to my snorkel when I surface - for 10' swim or 50' swim back to the dock.

I will tell you in my limited 11 dive career, snorkeling with a 7mm wet suit, AL120's, loads of weight to make me sink and the infamiliarity with all this stuff - I have MULTIPLE times taken in big gulps of H2O with snorkel in my mouth and SCUBA gear on my back.

I can see a scenario where this guy surfaced all well and good, as the reports stated, he started his surface swim back to shore - perhaps he switched to his snorkel - and then during this swim without bottled air, he became distressed and took in too much water and then drowned. If his BC wasn't inflated enough, he got water in his snorkel or he lost the snorkel out of his mouth, etc.

With my lack of experience, I have decided to either keep my 2nd stage in or flip and swim on my back. The snorkel is for emergencies (i.e. out of air) until I get better with all the gear. I have had more near-accidents snorkeling within feet of the shore, at the surface, than I have had under water.

Just something to think about.

PittCaleb

Just to play Devil's advocate in regard to the choice of site and the conditions ...

All valid points, and I very much hope my suspicions knowing the instructor personally are wrong. Perhaps a lesson we can already take away from this tragedy is that we should all be mindful when established practices are modified for whatever reason. Standards are established for a reason, and yes, to be practical, some leeway must be built into those standards to allow for varying circumstances. It may be perfectly OK to skirt the edge of a standard here and there, but when you start skirting the edge, or outright violating multiple standards, you have to question both the motive and the cost.

In this case, not only was the number of dives reduced below the established bare minimum of 2 (under NAUI). Not only was the minimum depth requirement for a dive barely achievable (15 feet according to PADI). And not only was this single dive being conducted in an unfamiliar, or at very least, a less familiar location than normally used, but in current and in cold temperatures, both air and water.

At some point we have to step back and ask ourselves why we're bending so many rules. If it's motivated by a student anxious to meet some deadline (achieving certification before an already planned vacation, for example), the instructor should encourage caution and explore other possibilities such as a referral. If it's motivated by an instructor anxious to make a sale, the student should reevaluate the trust placed in that instructor. Of course, it's also possible that there was no clear motivation and, as can often be the case, it just happened. Here, it can be difficult to even consider taking a step back and asking yourself why rules are being bent and if the cost is worth the risk.

Diving is an elective activity for most of us, we don't *need* to do it. As such, there's very little justification for compromising safety by rushing, both during training and afterwords. The ocean will still be there tomorrow, and next month and next year.

Despite what the instructor may or may not have said, as a NAUI Course Director I've never heard someone from headquarters give "Special Dispensation" to do all the training/testing in a single dive or on a single day.

It seems odd to me that the instructor would want to compress 4 training dives into one 80 minute dive, if this in fact was the plan. Wouldn't air supply be an issue, especially considering the fact that the students were OW and in strenuous conditions?

Back
Top Bottom