Delfins Beach Resort; any feedback?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[QUOTE
My first thought was “sweet” then that it was definitely out of my price range and then I started to consider the impact on Bonaire if this type of resort becomes a trend.[/QUOTE]
I think this type of growth(in moderation of course) will be positive for both the local economy and the visitors. If there is an increase of visitors to the island, perhaps more flights would consider Bonaire as a potential route and put a squeeze on the current anemic, overpriced competition. One of the appeals of the Delfin resort is the presence of security. One of my friends who will be joining us in Bonaire this Feb. was reluctant to return. Several years ago, she had rented a house up north. During the night someone had broken into their house and took I Pad, phones, camera, shoes-you name it. When we were looking at properties for this year's vacation, security was the main box which needed checking. Hopefully a large environment with serious steps in providing security may take some of the discussion away from the prevalent discussion of crime on the island.

This discussion of resorts makes me think of Cozumel. You can stay at one of the mega all inclusives or stay at a low key inn. There is something for the high end or budget traveler. Now if it becomes over run by the cruise ships and dolphin parks, we have a problem...

Last edited:
[QUOTE
My first thought was “sweet” then that it was definitely out of my price range and then I started to consider the impact on Bonaire if this type of resort becomes a trend.
I think this type of growth(in moderation of course) will be positive for both the local economy and the visitors. If there is an increase of visitors to the island, perhaps more flights would consider Bonaire as a potential route and put a squeeze on the current anemic, overpriced competition. One of the appeals of the Delfin resort is the presence of security. One of my friends who will be joining us in Bonaire this Feb. was reluctant to return. Several years ago, she had rented a house up north. During the night someone had broken into their house and took I Pad, phones, camera, shoes-you name it. When we were looking at properties for this year's vacation, security was the main box which needed checking. Hopefully a large environment with serious steps in providing security may take some of the discussion away from the prevalent discussion of crime on the island.

This discussion of resorts makes me think of Cozumel. You can stay at one of the mega all inclusives or stay at a low key inn. There is something for the high end or budget traveler. Now if it becomes over run by the cruise ships and dolphin parks, we have a problem...[/QUOTE]

I would settle for more resorts if in trade they Bonaire no longer welcomed cruise ships. Let Cozumel have those. It's fine for us to say that as occasional visitors. Those on the island trying to eek out a living I am sure are eager for as much money as possible to come through town. I do wonder how much of an impact economically they really have.

The crime element as been discussed to death here but have never had an issue with it. I do feel better in a resort vs. a rental because of their security or at least having more eyes roaming around the area. I would like to do a house rental sometime when I have a big crew, I shy away from it when it is just two of us.

I stay at a private house and now have my own pickup truck... 8 weeks in Bonaire and not a problem... I go to every dive site and park the truck... NEVER had a problem in 4 years and 250+ dives at the shore diving sites... They haven't even stolen my cold beer or sandwiches...

Jim....

I think the main fear is turning the small village that Bonaire essentially is, into something that a lot of the other islands have become. Last thing anyone should want is Bonaire turning into another Aruba or Curacao. Also, most profits from most of these developments end up in the pockets of wealthy foreigners (which in this context includes the Dutch)I don't think a Defins-style resort will hurt, but there's a number of such developments in progress.

There's also a real question how much (dive) tourism Bonaire can handle without losing itself or its resources in the process.

I don't really see that it'll make a "BIG" differences in the over all diving on Bonaire... Some of the easy sites to shore dive will get a workout and the boat diving sites will get more use, But I think those can handle it better in the short term...

I know that the rents are low on houses and it's getting harder to fill hotel rooms... The new Marriott is only running at like 25% of the rooms booked.. Every other house is for sale it looks like, people dumping at a market high of a year or so ago.. I foresee the bottom falling out of the market and you'll see some great deals coming... And half built hotels and houses..

But what do I know...:confused::confused:

Jim...

I'm not that familiar with 'tourist' rental rates in the region, although the rents here didn't strike me as particularly low, but long term regular housing rents are considered very high on the island, compared to the wages. I've heard the same numbers on the Mariott, but better numbers (50-60%) for regular tourist-based rental properties. I also agree the market is likely to collapse.

Any way you look at it, Bonaire has some interesting challenges ahead. I sincerly hope they'll be playing the long game.

(background: Dutch, just there for work temporarily)

I'm not that familiar with 'tourist' rental rates in the region, although the rents here didn't strike me as particularly low, but long term regular housing rents are considered very high on the island, compared to the wages.

But Bonaire's populace is largely poor by U.S. standards from what I inferred in the past from other postings. If that's true, then rents being low relative to wages may well be true and still leave them attractive from a U.S. retiree perspective, for example, or someone wanting to come rent a month or two for a long vacation.

Be interesting to know what longer term renting costs run. Anybody done this?

Richard.

I

I know that the rents are low on houses and it's getting harder to fill hotel rooms... The new Marriott is only running at like 25% of the rooms booked.. Every other house is for sale it looks like, people dumping at a market high of a year or so ago.. I foresee the bottom falling out of the market and you'll see some great deals coming... And half built hotels and houses..

But what do I know...:confused::confused:

Jim...
I noticed the same thing in St. Croix and Roatan in regards to the numerous 'for sale' signs. I know in St. Croix they took a hit when the oil refinery closed its doors. The unemployment rate is sky high. I am assuming that the issue with Roatan is the instability of mainland Honduras. I am not sure why Bonaire seems to be taking a hit. After all of the recent hurricane damage amassed in neighboring islands it seems that it would certainly bolster the tourism in Bonaire. I hope that Bonaire can manage to strike a balance between being a quaint dive destination and a get away from it all vacation destination. In my opinion, the main obstacle to visiting Bonaire are the flights. They are expensive and quite limited.

I don't think the problem in Bonaire is structural, rather than the market being overinflated. When Bonaire became a part of the Netherlands in 2010 (as opposed to being an independent part of the kingdom like Aruba, Curacao and St Maarten) I suspect many investors expected it to be or become the next Curacao or something like that, with the stability of The Netherlands, which accellerated a process which was already happening. That hasn't panned out (the Curacao part), and I suspect the market is simply dropping back to more realistic values. I'm not a real estate expert though, but that is based on knowing some of the people who moved here (and hearing some complains about how there's 'nothing to do' on the island).

As for rent: it's a bit hard to find, as a lot of the information for locals hasn't reached the internet yet. Most of what you'll find there is aimed at either tourists (short term) or relatively wealthy immigrants/temporary employees. A substantial amount of the population has to make do with less than $1000 per month. Cost of living is expensive, officially about 40%-60% more expensive compared to NL, which is already more expensive compared to the US (as is most of Western Europe).

It's going to be amazing. The pool alone will be to die for. It's a sprawling hotel property with a strong Dutch influence. The design is Euro chic. I inspected the property in August and write the website. Don't overthink this one if you seek a lovely hotel experience. Dive Friends being on site and the serene location is the Trifecta.

Back
Top Bottom