Delta and luggage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trucker girl

Cupcake, Queen of Dorks
Reaction score
Off the road for good in April '08 and at home in
# of dives
100 - 199
A world traveler, I'm not.

I'm flying home from Idaho with a lot of stuff- I didn't fly here. Long story. But I've got clothing, bed linens, and lots o' other stuff. My husband is driving home, so, we have that as a fallback.

I went out and bought giant duffel bags- probably 40x15x15 inches. Delta says their limit (before having to pay an extra $150 bucks/bag) is a total of 62 inches LxWxH.

So I'm sitting here wondering... all those big luggage bags have got to exceed that. Am I crazy? Do they just spot check?

What do I do- just buy smaller bags- a 30 inch long bag isn't going to do me much good...

Thanks for your input!

Suzanne

Have you thought about shipping all that bulky stuff on UPS or FedEx? I have friends who fly all over the states for business and diving and they seldom get on a plane with more than a carry on, they ship their stuff ahead to their destination or back home all the time. According to them it's cost no more than the extra fees the airlines would charge and usually lots less.

A world traveler, I'm not.

I'm flying home from Idaho with a lot of stuff- I didn't fly here. Long story. But I've got clothing, bed linens, and lots o' other stuff. My husband is driving home, so, we have that as a fallback.

I went out and bought giant duffel bags- probably 40x15x15 inches. Delta says their limit (before having to pay an extra $150 bucks/bag) is a total of 62 inches LxWxH.

So I'm sitting here wondering... all those big luggage bags have got to exceed that. Am I crazy? Do they just spot check?

What do I do- just buy smaller bags- a 30 inch long bag isn't going to do me much good...

Thanks for your input!

Suzanne

checkk your bag at the curb. The "sky caps" are contractors that work mostly for tips. IF they have to send you inside to pay extra for your bag, then they loose their tip.

I've checked many overweight bags this way and never had a problem. I've had a skycap "remind" me that it was overweight, but it was his way of telling me he'd take care of it (and not to forget to tip him) by the way he phrased it.

I'm not shipping because my husband is driving home- I just want to take as much with me as I can. And the Twin Falls airport doesn't have sky caps- it's a small airport- small planes.

My bags aren't over weight- but I just want to know if the airlines are serious about that LxWxH thing. I can't imagine those big luggage bags are within 62 inches!

As an update (because I'm sure you all are waiting with baited breath...):

I went to Wal-Mart and bought two check-in bags and 1 carry on bag that meet the requirments. I swear my luggage (that's sitting at home in my attic) is bigger than these. Maybe they reduced the size allowance to thwart terrorists planning to check giant duffel bags and blow themselves up- who knows.

So- problem solved. Now I can't find the receipt for the two giant duffels I bought. Grr.

Back
Top Bottom