Deluxe Harness Cam Buckle no good.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrenchmonkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I just bought the Dive Rite Deluxe Harness, and everything is fine except the cam buckle. It won't hold the waist strap, even when held closed manually, and it won't stay closed unless held closed manually. I don't really care that much, because I'd just as soon have a side-release buckle anyway.

So, I'm totally new to the BP/W setup (and pretty new to diving, for that matter), and just thought I'd ask if there's any good reason not to have a side-release buckle, instead of a cam buckle. Is there anything I'm missing? :idk:

Okay, I'll ask the obvious. Are you sure you have the buckle woven correctly? I have had trouble with mine, and it turned out I didnt thread it correctly. I am pretty sure there is a video for in DiveRite TV.

My DR buckle works fine. :hm: What's a side-release buckle? Are you talking about the plastic ones you have to squeeze to release? (SLIDE-release, no thanks)

Check out the threading demonstrated on this page:
Slide and Quick Release Buckles - Dive Gear Express

Yes, it was threaded properly. It's definitely a problem with the buckle. Even without it being attached to the other side of the webbing, it still won't clamp down and hold on its own. And even if I HOLD the buckle clamped down, the webbing still doesn't get clamped tightly enough to keep it from sliding through.

I'm talking about SIDE-RELEASE buckles, like one would find on a regular BCD, or a backpack, or something: Double Adjust Side Release Buckles

My question is, would there be something wrong with using such a buckle, and if so, what?

Without seeing it, its hard to say. Anyway you could post a picture of your buckle?

The slide release buckles, you will get arguments from some people saying they are a safety hazard, and break easily. They can also get released on accident if you are swimming in tight spaces.

My DR buckle is quite tight but the Hollis buckle i have was rather loose when i got it - the issues you have were identical to mine. I hit it with a hammer a couple times (on the release part of the buckle - right above the hinge) and problem solved.

:smash: the old 'fine adjustment' tool. :)

Wrenchmonkey, you may still be a young man, but occasionally my arthritis in my hand makes it difficult to squeeze slide-release buckles. The standard quick release is easier and faster to get out of. But the bottom line is, it's your gear, your dive, do what you want and feel safe with.

I didn't have a hammer at the dive site so I adjusted mine on a rock. Was a little stiff, but I fine tuned it at home later.

Bob
-----------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

Thanks for the help, guys, I've tried "adjusting the buckle as well, and I'm still getting nothing out of it. It seems like the geometry of the thing is just all wrong to be able to get a positive latch. I'm a gunsmith, so I'm no stranger to adjusting things, but I just have no idea where to go with it... I'm gonna try adjusting the geometry of the latch part, and see what I can manage, but in the mean time, here's a video, as requested.

YouTube - DSCN1102

http://www.divegearexpress.com/hardware/buckles.shtml

Starting from the front of the metal buckle, thread the left waist strap through the larger end slot of the buckle. Position the buckle approximately 18-inches of webbing length from the plate left waist slot. Then thread the webbing from the back through the center slot and through the front of the inner most slot. Then thread the webbing through the back of the larger end slot so there are two thicknesses of webbing through one slot and pull the weave tight.

Back
Top Bottom