DEMA Festival in Ft Lauderdale still on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I thought it was great of DEMA to think outside the box. Unfortunately, they didn't do enough due diligence. They did a lot of these brain storming sessions around the country at a few of the consumer shows, and this was one idea. What DEMA didn't do was to flesh out their findings with additional DEMA member feedback. Consequently, there was little buy in and a lot of resentment. Unfortunately, (no 2) it appears that DEMA is blaming us for their failure. Re-read the press release and it's apparent that we failed them by not giving them enough backing.

Wow.

We failed them.

One of my friends in the industry called the day after this happened and he was convinced that industry politics is what killed their show. He claimed that they had 120 booths sold. That's a lot in my book. That's a show that I would attend. But, I agree with Howard. They just couldn't sell it. The 120 booths sold was smoke and mirrors designed to save face. Add the animosity they were generating among a few and the show became an embarrassing liability. It was better for them to ice it quick rather than fail publicly.

I have to wonder what DEMA's take away is from all of this? More research or back to ready, fire, aim? Asking and listening to their constituency or making decisions without benefit of our counsel? Their past history doesn't give us much hope, but we need to do something as an industry to stimulate the public's interest in Scuba.

Dan, this is so true! There are so many people who are judgmental about spearfishing and don't realize that the fish they get at the grocery store have usually been caught with nets or long-lines, causing lots of waste, by-catch, and damage to the environment. I've seen it myself. I've watched helicopters circle overhead, guiding the chase boats that were encircling the entire school of tuna with nets and traumatizing the porpoises who tend to swim with them. It was pretty horrible to watch -- and they took the entire school. It was barren afterwards. It was such a stark contrast to what we do. But...the world has to eat. It's a complicated issue.

I do understand that there are some obnoxious spearos who give us a bad name. They annoy me too. But I think that most are nature-loving and law-abiding. Since I became a hunter, I understand and respect nature more than ever.

That really would be great seminar -- throw out some statistics and educational information about the state of the fisheries, the impact from different methods of catch, what all the different countries are doing, what fish to avoid and how we can help, some mercury and ciguatera info, etc. I would love to hear someone do that seminar! I know a good candidate from California for this one. Maybe he'd be willing to do it next year.

Dan, are you coming to the Expo?

With all the cool toys I expect you guys to have? How could I not ? :)

The spearfishing world has always led the world for the quality of Dive masks, fins, wetsuits, torpedo float flags, and plenty of other things they do much better than mainstream scuba shops--so I would encourage any scuba divers I know to attend....and I am always on the lookout for something new and better.
Hope to see you there !

Those who expect this to be a "Spearo Only" show will be very pleasantly surprised at the mis Sheri has lined up. There will be main stream Scuba like Edge/Hog there as well as others.

This surely cost DEMA a fortune, the show company I am sure still gets paid, many deposits lost etc. Thankfully they were getting the hall for free. I hope DEMA shares with us the membership how much this cost and if in accordance with the bylaws they will have to assess a fee to the members.

Pause to stop kissing my spear gun for a moment (NOT), What ever happened to Ocean Fest Dive and Adventure Sports Expo? Neal Watson was the Event Producer and it was one of the coolest outdoor events I ever attended in Florida (Ft. Lauderdale). It was the only outdoor Scubafest, totally loving the mom and pop local dive shops etc. The reason listed in 2009 was: Unfortunately, we were recently advised by the City of Fort Lauderdale that there are issues with our preferred location. We are working to find another suitable location for the show. We'll update this web site when we have news to announce.Neal Watson, Event Producer.....

Not another word was spoken about it again. We have such beautiful weather here, why contain us indoors, we're not New Jersey for goodness sake! And please have some more diversity with a dive show. I love to take pics and leave only bubbles, not admire the fish and them stuff them in my mouth. Sorry

This new show was never meant to be outdoors. However, the drama continues. I heard that it will be held next year due to a "ground swell of support". I wonder why next year is better than this year, and I also wonder if they will move the dates a bit so it doesn't go head to head with the Blue Wild?

This new show was never meant to be outdoors. However, the drama continues. I heard that it will be held next year due to a "ground swell of support". I wonder why next year is better than this year, and I also wonder if they will move the dates a bit so it doesn't go head to head with the Blue Wild?

Hope you are right.

Back
Top Bottom