Depth allowed for Newly Certified Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't actually - sorry about that.

Feel free to ignore my comments....I can be a prick pretty easily.

No way, I enjoyed your comebacks. I was just getting bored and needed a laugh. Besides, JamesK put me up to it...if George Irvine were to stop suddenly you would need a northeast wrecker's crowbar to get JamesK's nose out from between GI's cheeks.

Dang...now that is a good piece of smack if I've ever heard (read) one O-Ring.

Heh..if I had known you weren't being serious I would have put some more effort into coming up w/ some good ones...but as it was, I didn't feel like getting into that big of a flame war!

O-ring once bubbled...

No way, I enjoyed your comebacks. I was just getting bored and needed a laugh. Besides, JamesK put me up to it...if George Irvine were to stop suddenly you would need a northeast wrecker's crowbar to get JamesK's nose out from between GI's cheeks.

LMFAO!!! I guess we could hook a Gavin to your tow ring to pull you from JJ's cheeks! LOL!!!!!:D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Great line.... don't apologize for it!

:jester:

Hehe...K :D

My intentions for this thread are not to piss everyone off, or to be put down as a naive diver.

I live and work in Colorado. Everyone around me is a diver. I managed to find someone who just returned from the Caymans, right before our departure. She was a new OW and explained that her first dive was 100ft. This made me and my wife a little nervous. We explained to the DM's on the boat that we were nervous about it, but they felt it was OK for us to go that deep, explaining that if we weren't comfortable, then just to follow above them.

I don't know what it is about the dive community, but everyone we have run into is just a great person. We always feel 'at-ease' when we are with other divers - like they are family. So maybe we were foolish going that deep, but it was comfortable for us with the people we were with. And, last time I checked... I was not dead.

This conversation has made me think about it a little more, and now that I am enlightened, I will sure try to get in for training to go deep as soon as possible.

Thanks for your input.

Addict once bubbled...
My intentions for this thread are not to piss everyone off, or to be put down as a naive diver.
No one is upset and no one is putting you down... things sometimes sound different here on the internet... but I can assure you that we really all are with you on this one.

And hopefully you can get some extra training that will allow you to progress and enjoy diving even more... just beware that c-cards do not confer training.... only training confers training... even if it doesn't involve a c-card.

BTW.... Welcome! I am very glad to have you on Scuba Board!!! :D

What about liability incurred by operators taking people on dives that are 100'+ with just OW cards? It seems to me that there could be a case of negligence brought against an operator/DM/Instructor that ran the dive if they knowingly took an OW certified diver on a 100' dive, the diver got injured, and the diver claimed that he/she was taken on a dive he/she was not qualified for according to agency standards.

Yeah, we just like to argue a lot!!

Seriously though...if you are ever nervous about doing a dive - call it!

Don't dive if you don't feel comfortable with it. Work up to a particular dive - get used to your gear, make your reactions second nature....

The only way to get experience is to dive! Do it more...take training at every opportunity. It will make you better, more comfortable, and most important of all it will make you have more fun!

Diving is a blast - don't forget why you got into it in the first place. It's fun beyond all belief...don't ever let it not be fun :)

Thanks.

I am a 'sports' enthusiast. Now that I have gone diving for the first time, I am addicted. Too bad it is sooooo expensive to get someplace that I can dive (living in Colorado).

New Golf Clubs: SOLD
Brand New Ski's Boots Poles: SOLD
2 Computers: SOLD

I am now trying to win a trip on the radio (to Cozamel), and am working 2 jobs to get the money to buy equipment.

On Monday, I will be buying 2 Full Sets of Scuba Gear:
2 regs, 2 octos, 2 computers, 2 wetsuits, 2 BCD's - so I hope I win this damn trip on the radio!

Now I just need to decide if I am going to give in and purchase from Leisurepro or my LDS. Leisurepro is winning the battle so far, but the LDS owner wants to have a sit down with me first
:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom