Depth allowed for Newly Certified Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronBBrown once bubbled...
If you aren't too over weighted and don't need a ton of air in your BC, you should be able to just keep the power inflator below you...no more air should escape. I'd be worried about the inflate button sticking with little training.

Right. However you need some experience to know that. You'll also need to to know how to get air into your BC if you lost more air than you want by the time you realize it's stuck. How do you get the air back in?

Edit Oh... and it's probably a safe assumption that a newbie diver is overweighted...

O-ring once bubbled...
What about liability incurred by operators taking people on dives that are 100'+ with just OW cards?

I suspect that the covenants not to sue and assumption of risk statements we all sign are taken a bit more seriously by the courts of the British West Indies than in the US. Some of the Cayman operators at least police the 100' limit.

I've seen them lecture passport divers about breaking the rules and threaten to ground them if it occured again. Still, 100' . . . and not even DIR, by cracky. . .

Addict once bubbled...
I'll take a shot - manually inflate with air from the reg. Did it in class :)

You mean exhale into the BC? It's an option, but as your treading water/sinking, will you want to take your reg out of your mouth to inflate your BC?

Spectre once bubbled...

You mean exhale into the BC? It's an option, but as your treading water/sinking, will you want to take your reg out of your mouth to inflate your BC?

You could always just rebreathe the air from your BC! :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: DON'T DO THAT. I WAS JUST KIDDING. IT'S A JOKE. REBREATHING AIR FROM YOUR BC IS BAD...VERY VERY BAD.

DON'T DO IT

You'll also need to to know how to get air into your BC if you lost more air than you want by the time you realize it's stuck. How do you get the air back in?

So enlighten me. All of the air is out of my BC. The Low Pressure Inflator doesn't work. I am sinking.

How do I get air into my BC?

Addict once bubbled...
So enlighten me. All of the air is out of my BC. The Low Pressure Inflator doen't work. I am sinking.

Ahh... good point. I said the deflator button was stuck, not that the LPI wasn't working.

Let me step back and tell you my story. It was dive #31, it was the deep dive in my AOW class. Dive was over, we were ascending. I dumped air out of my BC. I over did it, so I tried to add some. No luck. Hmm. Kept ascending [swimming] to the safety stop. There I continued to try and achieve neutral bouyancy. No luck. At this point I noticed that the air from my LPI was going right out the hole.

Stressed, I continued to tread water @ 15 fsw, with my hand on my weight belt, not wanting to dump it, but prepared to dump it if necessary.

We finished the stop, I ascended. I swam over to my instructor and pointed out the problem. He manually inflated my BC [I didn't want to take the reg out of my mouth...]. I said thanks, and started to sink.

I went back to him, and he inflated again. This time I remembered to actually stick my finger in the hole to keep the air from coming back out.

Answer: stick your finger over the hole.

Disclaimer: Internet training is just that...free training... it's worth what it costs.

There are many ways to have delt with the situation, and my choice wasn't the best, but it was what I thought of at the time. It was bad enough at 15 fsw, but add in a load of narced and it could have been a lot worse. But my intent is just to use this story as a vehicle to allow you to look into yourself and wonder if you are truely prepared to be at those depths.

:box:

To get back into the depth side of things. The above is an example of little things that can be downright lethal. The deeper you are, the less clear you will be able to think, and the more a little thing can get out of hand. I learned [thankfully not the hard way] that 100 feet is 100 feet is 100 feet. It's not forgiving wherever you are.

The walls are going to wait for you. Stick to stuff in the <60 range until you get the experience and comfort to venture further... and at that time, get the training for it. When your down 100+ feet, you won't realize how impaired you truely are until you find yourself in trouble and need to instinctively react.

Think about all the different things that can happen, and think about how you would react to them... not how to handle them as you learned in class in controlled situations, but if you can honestly deal with those situations when intoxicated at depth. And if you feel you are ready... then add one more twist: Are you comfortable that your wife can deal with those situations, and you can help her if she can't?

Addict once bubbled...
...All of the air is out of my BC. The Low Pressure Inflator doesn't work. I am sinking...

I am a very new diver, but I would think that if the bottom is a long ways away and you're sinking fast/your buddy isn't around, dropping your weight may be the best option. Even if you blow a safety stop, the bends are survivable but I'm not so sure about 1000' on air.

Chris

chris_b once bubbled...

I am a very new diver, but I would think that if the bottom is a long ways away and you're sinking fast/your buddy isn't around, dropping your weight may be the best option. Even if you blow a safety stop, the bends are survivable but I'm not so sure about 1000' on air.

Chris

Chris,

Not to be an ass, but to prove that I was an inexperienced diver, the question was posed to me about "How to get air back into a BCD" when you are sinking. Not how to survive if you are sinking.

The only thing that came to mind was that if my lpi hose wasn't working, then I could get air into the BCD by Manual inflation, using air in my lungs (from the reg).

Apparently the question & answer didn't mesh up. He actually wanted to know what I would do if the button on the deflator was 'stuck' and had let out the air. I am now sinking.

Correct Answer:
So you get the air back in by going to someone else, and having THEM manually put air into your BC - making sure to put your finger over the hole of the deflator.

I am a very new diver...

No worries, they cover all of these things when your are AOW certified for deep dives.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom