Derbyshire nymph?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ebbdiver

Registered
Reaction score
There was an episode of Deep Sea Detectives that covered the investigation of the Derbyshire wreck over two miles deep, and they showed a previously unknown, strange little creature that they named the Derbyshire nymph. It had little paddles that looked like ping-pong paddles to propel itself. I have not been able to find any reference to this creature anywhere. They showed the video of it on the show. I believe it was the Woods Hole crew that discovered it. Anybody know anything about this?

Just saw the documentary on the Derbyshire. The Derbyshire nymph looks so unique. It looked like a mermaid creature, almost haunting. Have you found any more information on this nymph?

I sent mail to both Woods Hole and the History channel asking for more information on the Derbyshire Nymph. No responses. I think it's time for phone-a-friend.

I've been in contact with a marine biologist at the Monterrey Aquarium about the nymph. I sent him a video tape of the original broadcast of the search for the MV Derbyshire, that I had purchased from the History Channel.

Steve viewed the tape and contacted some people at MBARI. Here's Steve's reply about the nymph:

Turns out MBARI is currently a hotbed of deep sea isopod expertise. One of the htree people in the world who know these animals is there doing research with Bruce Robison. Not only did they identify the critter, they have a pickled one in a bottle!

Class Isopoda
Order Asellota
Family Munnopsidae
Genus Paropsurus
Species giganteus (probably - it's difficult to make a final determination from a video image)

The body is about 4 inches long. The critter is swimming backwards, so the paddlelike appendages are to the rear. The other appendages trail (forward) along with the very long 2nd antennae.

Joe

any pics??

anything at all would be helpful, i saw that thing on the same show. how weird is that, so strange that there is like zero information on this little guy

wow, so it's a crustacean?

anyway, quick google didn't come up with any pics

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom