Destin Conditions for Saturday June 12th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Took the boat to Destin today. Thought I would post a few comments. There was no oil to be found in Destin today. The booms are still not fully deployed although they are staged and ready.

boomscloseup.jpg

booms.jpg

There are a couple of things to note. The whole Destin East Pass is a NO WAKE zone. From the harbor to the Gulf it is no wakes. Boats that were going to fast were met with loud horns and were screamed at to SLOW DOWN. They do not want the waves pushing the booms staged on shore. Also, you cannot go over to the shore from Norriego Point (the sandy point at the beginning of Destin harbor) south except the beach by the jetties. They have cables in the water and were flagging boats away from the shore.

I made a dive at the jetties today. There were MANY students at the jetties today, and MANY, MANY snorkelers. The visibility was good at the jetties. We made it out to the anchor which is still uncovered. There was a ripping current out by the anchor.

It was a great day in Destin to be diving or be on the water.
destinpass-3.jpg

crabisland.jpg

On another note. We often talk about the tide switching in Destin Pass. When the tide starts to go out of the Pass, it really does it fast. We were at Crab Island when the tide started to go out. I took a picture of the tide line heading back out of the Bay toward the Gulf....in a moments time it went from fresh Gulf water pushing in, to the bay water heading for the Gulf. Hopefully you can see the Tide line heading south in this picture.

tideline.jpg

We were at the east jetty diving along with a BUNCH of other people. The fella I talked to in the parking lot said it was a memorial dive for the man who passed a week or two ago. They mounted a dive flag on the tub at the jetty with his name and comments from everyone.....must have been a great guy!

Thanks for the report Glen, get everything rigged up right for the trip?

Yes, I think I am ready. Got my weights figured out for Galapagos Islands...now if I can just get everything packed in 44 pounds! Did you get any exploration done Saturday?

Thanks for the report Glen, get everything rigged up right for the trip?

Went to 3 new to me systems with line in all of them on Saturday, found another system on Sunday with line in it, AND I found a system without line in it... so I put some in :wink:

Sweet! Look forward to hearing more about it. Oh yeah, and I got the fish finder working on the pontoon boat. We will hit the Choctawhatchee when I get back!

Went to 3 new to me systems with line in all of them on Saturday, found another system on Sunday with line in it, AND I found a system without line in it... so I put some in :wink:

I suck! I didn't bring the camera underwater. I was testing an SMB out and decided not to bring it along. I only got surface shots.

Where are the Underwater photos?

Back
Top Bottom