Question DGX Custom Aluminum BP/W for new divers... thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Without starting an argument, it's worth noting to the OP: Using a crotch strap allows you to run shoulder straps looser so it makes getting in and out of the rig much easier. When you put a little tension on the crotch strap, it takes up the slack. Also it stops the rig sliding into your neck if you go head-down. If you have adjustable shoulder straps and/or run the shoulder straps tight, you may find it necessary to have a crotch strap.
No argument here. Most people will agree with you. I’ve been diving BP/W for about six years, and for whatever reason it works for me.

I would also look at the Sub Gravity Paragon Single Tank Package. You get a choice of 3 stainless steel or 2 aluminum backplates, 4 wing lift capacities, 3 weight pocket sizes, and 2 harness styles. You can add shoulder pads & backplate trim weight pockets if you wish. You can get a short backplate in stainless steel or aluminum. They make high quality gear and have great customer service.
I have their aluminum backplate, 26 lb wing and adjustable harness. I love the adjustable harness, it's clean & simple with no plastic parts. Paragon Single Tank Package - SubGravity
I looked at this rig and appreciate you bringing it to my attention. The decision I found my self in, after finding the DGX package, was which system to choose with SUCH a wide price difference between DGX and the S-Tek system. The Paragon system, and many others that were all very attractive, all fell with in a $600-$800 ish range. The difference between that price point and the S-Tek (nice shiny object) wasn't enough to keep me from purchasing the "nice shiny object". Now (logical brain) says, quality rig, nice price, and if you don't like it you've done little damage.

I sincerely appreciate everyone who provided comment. I just pulled the trigger for x2 of the DGX units. I look forward to putting these together and experiencing the results. Hope to come back post September (maybe earlier) and report back.

Best to everyone.

Thank you, I personally used 14lbs and my wife used 8lbs when we got certified with a normal BCD and all it's inherent buoyancy. I believe I will carry quite a bit less with this set up even with Aluminum and hope to just use trim pockets on the cam bands. Will look forward to your impressions of the S-Tek. Everyone that has used it seems to love it.
Do you recall what kind of wetsuit, and what type of tanks you were using during your certification? If it's around the same as what you expect to be diving in regularly, then I'd consider a stainless plate. SS plates are roughly 6lbs negative, AL more like 2lbs. So, if you need 14lbs total ballast, then it would be nice to get some for free on the plate.

Regardless, you're either going to need a weight belt or pockets for lead. If you go the pocket route, small pouches like these ones are incredible. They're small, and can easily be moved around. Large pockets like these ones with moving parts and quick disconnects, are junk. They're too bulky to give you much choice in where to put them, and much more expensive.

If you go the weight belt route, I highly recommend the MAKO freediving belts. They make one in rubber (black only), and another one in silicone (several colors). I've tried both, and they are both great, but I prefer the rubber one. The belts are stretchy, so when you descend and your wetsuit gets thinner, the belt stays tight. Unlike nylon belts, which you either need to make uncomfortably tight on the surface, or cinch up a bit at depth -- very annoying.

Do you recall what kind of wetsuit, and what type of tanks you were using during your certification? If it's around the same as what you expect to be diving in regularly, then I'd consider a stainless plate. SS plates are roughly 6lbs negative, AL more like 2lbs. So, if you need 14lbs total ballast, then it would be nice to get some for free on the plate.

Regardless, you're either going to need a weight belt or pockets for lead. If you go the pocket route, small pouches like these ones are incredible. They're small, and can easily be moved around. Large pockets like these ones with moving parts and quick disconnects, are junk. They're too bulky to give you much choice in where to put them, and much more expensive.

If you go the weight belt route, I highly recommend the MAKO freediving belts. They make one in rubber (black only), and another one in silicone (several colors). I've tried both, and they are both great, but I prefer the rubber one. The belts are stretchy, so when you descend and your wetsuit gets thinner, the belt stays tight. Unlike nylon belts, which you either need to make uncomfortably tight on the surface, or cinch up a bit at depth -- very annoying.
We were certified in Phuket. I don't recall if the tank was aluminum or Steel (It was a good leg workout to get up the ladder so, I hope, steel:wink:). I have a message into the Dive Center. Wetsuit was 3mm shorty.
While I needed 14lbs with that BCD I don't think I will need that much using a plate. That said, I have thought pros/ cons of traveling with a SS plate but think I will stick with aluminum. Thank you for the links and like the small pockets you suggested. Will keep the rubber MAKO weight belt in mind too!

I will recommend for better comfort a BP/W harness with adjustable chest strap and adjustable shoulder straps with pivot quick release, just like a BC that you used, in your training.
The Dive Rite TransPlate is a option.
Best Dive

Whether you initially choose an aluminum plate or stainless steel one you will end up with one of each anyway if you both dive cold water and travel.
No doubt! :cool: If this set up proves to be a success I'll have no problem purchasing a SS set up too! We shall see. Thank you.

No doubt! :cool: If this set up proves to be a success I'll have no problem purchasing a SS set up too! We shall see. Thank you.
In my case, most of my saltwater diving is warm enough to not need a wetsuit and most of my fresh water diving is in a 3mm full suit. With an aluminum plate and steel tank (which is all I own), I end up needing a couple pounds of trim weight in freshwater with the 3mm... when I go to salt the lower buoyancy of no suit offsets the higher buoyancy of salt water just about perfect. I just keep a 6 lb weight belt for if I wear the suit in saltwater.
I guess the big thing is that everyone's scenario is a little different..... I look forward to hearing how yours plays out!

Respectfully,

James

We were certified in Phuket. I don't recall if the tank was aluminum or Steel (It was a good leg workout to get up the ladder so, I hope, steel:wink:). I have a message into the Dive Center. Wetsuit was 3mm shorty.
While I needed 14lbs with that BCD I don't think I will need that much using a plate. That said, I have thought pros/ cons of traveling with a SS plate but think I will stick with aluminum. Thank you for the links and like the small pockets you suggested. Will keep the rubber MAKO weight belt in mind too!

I for one think you made the right choice re aluminum, esp if you're mainly a warm water travel diver. 14 lbs of add'l weight is not alot to carry on your dive, and as you gain more experience you may drop some lbs. I think you said your wife used 8 lbs. SS plate seems like too much ballast for her.

We dont need to get into a discussion of whether some of your weight should be ditchable, but if you want ditchable weight, a SS plate may not give you much weight to ditch, esp for her.

If you get into any diving where you're in a 7mm FS, or a drysuit, you can either get a SS backplate, or just have to add some ballast somewhere. But sounds like your main diving is warm water, may as well get a rig optimized for that diving. And not have to worry about a SS plate and a 40 lb airline bag limit.

And I think you made the right choice on the DGX rig - why pay more - but Im a cheapskate.

Enjoy the diving!

Back
Top Bottom