DGX design change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The new style DGX wing is made in USA yes. Can see the tag in the picture. :)

The tag could mean designed in the USA, made in a Chinese re-education camp. :)

All kidding aside, I have seen the US flag used on "designed in USA" products.

"Made in USA" is a selling point for me and others. DGX should advertise it.

It is definitely a nice-looking wing.

Except for that pull dump business. I would replace that with a plain elbow. I'm surprised they don't offer it that way.

With a price of $199, great customer service, and the best return policy in the industry, it looks like it would be hard to go wrong.

It is definitely a nice-looking wing.

Except for that pull dump business. I would replace that with a plain elbow. I'm surprised they don't offer it that way.

With a price of $199, great customer service, and the best return policy in the industry, it looks like it would be hard to go wrong.

I don't understand the design choice of the pull dump elbow, especially when they were so vocal about it being unnecessary and a potential failure point a few years ago when I was shopping for my BP/W setup.

-Z

A plain elbow is only $10....

Maybe their supplier said "we make them this way. We'll put your logo on, instead of XYZ, but we're not changing the inflator specs."

A plain elbow is only $10....

Maybe their supplier said "we make them this way. We'll put your logo on, instead of XYZ, but we're not changing the inflator specs."

Could be....I noticed a while ago that the Dive Rite Travel wing comes standard with the same type of elbow, and in the past the DGX wing was a carbon copy of the Dive Right. Perhaps the only that has changed is the shell?

-Z

Could be....I noticed a while ago that the Dive Rite Travel wing comes standard with the same type of elbow, and in the past the DGX wing was a carbon copy of the Dive Right. Perhaps the only that has changed is the shell?

-Z

From looking at it, I would be very, very surprised if it's nothing more than a change in the shell.

I think I recall that it was the old DGX wing that was a small shell but had a much larger bladder inside. Hopefully, this new wing is no longer from that design school, either.

From looking at it, I would be very, very surprised if it's nothing more than a change in the shell.

I think I recall that it was the old DGX wing that was a small shell but had a much larger bladder inside. Hopefully, this new wing is no longer from that design school, either.

It is my understanding that most wings are designed where the bladder is larger than the shell that contains them. The reasoning behind this is that at full inflation it is the shell that takes the stress and not the seams of the bladder. This is a design choice. While this may have been true for DGX, I know it is true for Dive Rite....they have told me directly that their travel wing and voyager wing share the same bladder just that the shell is different. My understanding is that Edge-Hog 23lb wing has that same bladder as their 32lb wing and it is still just the shell that is bigger.

While the extra material is potential area for air to be trapped, from a design standpoint it is better to have a tiny bit of trapped air than the potential of blowing out the bladder should it be inflated to its max at the surface...such as in a rescue situation.

-Z

Yes, now that you say that I remember that it was just speculation that the old DGX wing had the some oversized bladder, based on knowing about those other wings. I think.

I totally understand why you want a bladder that is slightly larger than the shell. But, I think a bladder that is a bit bigger than the shell for a 32 # wing would just be TOO big for use in a 23# wing. The potential there is to trap more than just "a tiny bit" of air. That said, I have a HOG 23 and I never have had any complaints with the way it dives.

I wonder what the VDH wings have for bladders. VDH has 3 sizes of wing (18, 23, and 35). I wonder if they have 3 different sized bladders.

The one thing that annoys me about my HOG wing IS the 32# bladder in the 23# bag. If you've ever unzipped the shell , pulled and reinstalled the bladder there's a lot of folding and creasing going on. There's no way the uneven interior does not disrupt the ability of the bladder to expel all air. If I had known about this I would have gone to another brand or just bought the 32# model. Today I would go with the VDH.

The one thing that annoys me about my HOG wing IS the 32# bladder in the 23# bag. If you've ever unzipped the shell , pulled and reinstalled the bladder there's a lot of folding and creasing going on. There's no way the uneven interior does not disrupt the ability of the bladder to expel all air. If I had known about this I would have gone to another brand or just bought the 32# model. Today I would go with the VDH.

Would you VDH because you know or speculate they don't do this? or because you prefer something about their design or their company? or "D" all the above?

I think, but don't know, that using a bladder in a lsmaller shell is standard practice in the industry. It would not surprise me that also standard practice is to use the same bladder across a line of different capacity wings of the same/similar shape.

It would be interesting to know definitively what VDH does.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom