Did divers used to take smoke breaks??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the original Kirby Morgan Superlite-17 diving helmet manual, it shows an image of a diver checking the function of the non-return valve by taking a drag and attempting to exhale through the valve...

The newer version of the manual has you hook up to the emergency gas supply and use leak check or use a vacuum gauge...

It definately was prevalent in the commercial diving and military diving community, less no though.

I have seen an increase in oral tobacco use though :(

Iv'e seen some old cig ads with divers smoking hehe!!
well 1960s It looks weird seeing a guy smoking with his scuba tank still on his back!!
Rick L

I am always amazed at the sight of divers -including DMs - lighting up immediately after a dive. God bless their lungs!!
All the health issues aside, and not intending to start a "smoker vs. non smoker" debate, I can't see how that helps a diver. (As a non-smoker- I admit to not knowing the positives).
A few weeks ago, while on a boat, one of the newer divers on board was asking everybody within earshot for suggestions as to how to improve his air consumption.
Later, after the first dive, out came his cigs -he smoked several of them during the 45 min SI.
Care to guess what was the DM's first suggestion for improving air use ?? :)

Baffling. (again, from a nonsmoker)
Good luck,
Mike

Taking in the carbon monoxide from smoking at the surface (1 ata) is certainly bad, but the effects of the CO at depth (remember partial pressure?) is what can cause a catastrophic situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom