Did I Do Right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milbournosphere

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So my buddy and I were out on our first dive of the day and just as we hit depth (60ft or so), my pressure gauge decided that it was done with this world, and decided to flood. It was still reporting accurately (at least I think so) but was chock full of water. I decided to call the dive, having never experienced this problem before, so I erred on the side of caution. Did I over-react, given that the hardware was still functioning? What did you do when you had this problem? What say you, oh diving gods?

Never had this happen to me, so I can't speak from experience. The important thing is that you felt you need to call the dive and you did. I would be surprised if anyone tell you that yours was not the right call. Out of curiosity, did you have another on the boat, or was that the end of your diving day? Easy switch out and back in the water 5 minutes later if you have a spare. That would make thumbing an very easy decision for everyone, I suspect.

The gage would probably function fine while flooded for the entire dive. However, when important components of life support gear die on your first dive, I think it is smart to go up...right away..

Very Disconcerting........when Dumpster Diver posts something that you are thinking, then you have to sit back and question your thoughts...is there something wierd going on with your brain, did the Universe just get altered in some horrific way....what just happened.....:shakehead:

Very Disconcerting........when Dumpster Diver posts something that you are thinking, then you have to sit back and question your thoughts...is there something wierd going on with your brain, did the Universe just get altered in some horrific way....what just happened.....:shakehead:

In your situation I'd have gone up soon if maybe not immediately. I'd be worried if the flood might be preceding a more complete failure in/at the end of that HP hose. Maybe we agree to go down again and keep it shallow but my buddy at least deserves to be a part of the decision.

I do agree that you feeling it was best to call the dive was in itself 100% adequate reason to call the dive.

All of my equipment failures have happened on the surface. If I had one at depth, I would have done the same thing. You could also look into some type of back up computer, like a small wrist mount, that you could go by if that situation happened again. Good call :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somehow "diver's pressure guage flooded and he continued the dive thinking it was still working correctly" sounds like Mistake #1 in an accident analysis. I agree with FinnMom, I would take the whole regulator and anything connected to it back to the shop for an instepction and overhall before I dove with it again.

So my buddy and I were out on our first dive of the day and just as we hit depth (60ft or so), my pressure gauge decided that it was done with this world, and decided to flood. It was still reporting accurately (at least I think so) but was chock full of water. I decided to call the dive, having never experienced this problem before, so I erred on the side of caution. Did I over-react, given that the hardware was still functioning? What did you do when you had this problem? What say you, oh diving gods?

The SPG is an important bit of gear and if it's flooded then it's broken and the right way to proceed is to call the dive and get it fixed. Safety first.

R..

The gage would probably function fine while flooded for the entire dive. However, when important components of life support gear die on your first dive, I think it is smart to go up...right away..

I feel the same way :confused:

OP you did good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom