Did I get bent? Please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calling mask goggle or fin flipper is very different than calling air oxygen. For a non diver, that is another story, a diver should make this very distinctive. It can be life or dead. I believe and hope dive course in very language make this very clear what we breath in out back is NOT oxygen.

The OP calling air “oxygen” in his original post was part of what prompted me to suggest either an OW do over or at least doing some reading. That together with the over-reaction to the supposed DCS hit made me think he really needed to refresh himself on a whole bunch of from OW - which he did at 14 and is now 22. We don’t know if he did a refresher.

The OP calling air “oxygen” in his original post was part of what prompted me to suggest either an OW do over or at least doing some reading. That together with the over-reaction to the supposed DCS hit made me think he really needed to refresh himself on a whole bunch of from OW - which he did at 14 and is now 22. We don’t know if he did a refresher.
I have to agree with you, Marie. Being as how he was certified at 14, is now 22, and still has less than 5 dives as he stated, indicates someone that was too young to completely absorb and remember the materials and knowledge base and now understands little about scuba diving. With such little experience, it would certain benefit him to do, minimally, the refresher course if not go thru the full OW course again.

Didn’t read it all, but the failure of the flight to exacerbate your symptoms quickly is another big check mark in the not
Bent category

I agree with you regarding everything below. I responded to your post bc I think the terminology comparisons were significantly different:
  • a certified scuba diver should know better than to use “oxygen” instead of “air” or “gas” - how can we expect reporters to get it right if we can’t?
  • I can’t get bent* over the use of “flippers” and “goggles” even though I acknowledge those terms are atypical and used almost exclusively by very inexperienced or very experienced divers :)
*see how I got us back on topic there :wink:

What do you guys think ? Interestingly the antibiotic has the same side effects...muscle aches , numbness etc
I think he answered his own question in the first post. I think it's the antibiotic's side effects, plus maybe an STI.

I think he answered his own question in the first post. I think it's the antibiotic's side effects, plus maybe an STI.
I agree something else may be going on here, and it might be worse than being bent. Based on symptoms described, I'd be looking at coronary or circulation issues (even 22 year olds have heart and circulation problems on occasion) unrelated to diving that might have been exacerbated by stress. (Though having been examined by real docs several times would seem to rule this out.)

I'm sorry, I just woke up.

I'm 22 years of age, I did my PADI open water when I was 14 but unfortunately since then no dives. My total dive count is under 5 and this was the only dive during the 11 day stay in Bali.

I'd be very glad not to have DCS and that my symptoms are due to something else like not reacting well to the anti biotic for example.
I was just worries after the flight and dive and once I started feeling this tightness and light numbness in my hands and wrists the alarm bells went off in my head because I read that flying could make mild DCS worse and manifest neurologically which is definitely not what I want. I am a active guy who loves sports so having any form of permanent impediment would be devastating to me
Honestly, all these symptoms (including those down below the belt) sound more like anxiety than anything else. I worked as a paramedic for several years, and I saw tons of cases of anxiety attacks that manifested with physical symptoms just like this.

Back
Top Bottom