Did I get bent? Please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry, I just woke up.

I'm 22 years of age, I did my PADI open water when I was 14 but unfortunately since then no dives. My total dive count is under 5 and this was the only dive during the 11 day stay in Bali.

I'd be very glad not to have DCS and that my symptoms are due to something else like not reacting well to the anti biotic for example.
I was just worries after the flight and dive and once I started feeling this tightness and light numbness in my hands and wrists the alarm bells went off in my head because I read that flying could make mild DCS worse and manifest neurologically which is definitely not what I want. I am a active guy who loves sports so having any form of permanent impediment would be devastating to me

I called a different hotline yesterday
DAN or other?

I am inclined to believe what they say. If I were you, I would look for something else. You are your own best advocate.

No one on here is going to say whether you do or do not have DCS, we are not your doctors and that would not be ethical. It’s good you called to speak to real doctors.

I do have experience with this though: fear of DCS can make you kind of paranoid. When I was a new diver I was doing cold-water shore dives. Afterwards often my body would ache from lugging heavy gear and several times my hands tingled for a long time on the drive home after becoming numb from the cold. My very experienced dive buddy calmed my nerves because our dive profiles were really very conservative and shallow. It was not DCS, but after learning about DCS at first every little ache and pain could make me feel a bit freaked out about it. I’m not saying this is your case but it is my experience.

Hey guys I called DAN German hotline on Friday and the operator told me in a stern voice that the hotline was only for immediate emergencies and that my case wasn't a emergency because it happened on Monday. You think I should call again?

No. You should listen to what they are telling you: You don’t have DCS.

I called DAN German hotline on Friday and the operator told me in a stern voice
I can imagine. I just changed planes in Frankfurt once, and I noticed stern attitudes of employees. Even during my brief stay in The Netherlands, I noticed that the Dutch who live close to the German border have a stern accent.

I am sorry if this sounds hash. Because you are not a doctor, don't diagnose yourself by yourself based on what you read on the internet. And you don't know much about diving, it sounds like you just read those DSC or CNS term somewhere and try to fit your syndrome into it. Please don't do this. It doesn't help whether you have DCS or not. And when you seek real medical help, also don't try to misdirect doctor's diagnose by giving out wrong information. It will only delay the finding of any problems if there are any. Call DAN, even if it is a North America or Asian line, long distant phone call these days are cheap. Spend a few $ and talk to the people who knows. And remember, just tell them your syndrome, and exactly what happen, no more and no less, and don't tell them what you guess you have.

Hey guys,
I breathed a lot of oxygen during the dive

I'm 22 years of age, I did my PADI open water when I was 14 but unfortunately since then no dives. My total dive count is under 5 and this was the only dive during the 11 day stay in Bali.

@Ddk96

Both these things jumped out at me.

For the first quote, I assume you mean you went through a lot of air on the dive, not oxygen.

Second quote: did you do any sort of a refresher course before your trip or on it? I'm trying to be gentle here...I think it would be beneficial if you either did your OW course over again or did some reading.

Referring to air as oxygen and your over-reaction about DCS (when clearly it wasn't) makes it seem that a brush-up would be a very good thing. If you still have your OW book, at the very least, pull it out and read it.

EDIT: referring to things by the proper terms is important. As I recently mentioned in another thread:

Mask, not goggles

Air, not oxygen (when referring to basic compressed air used as breathing gas)

Fins, not flippers

Last edited:
I agree with about air vs oxygen, but there are a lot of people who call fins flippers and / or masks, goggles. If one is being pedantic, neither term is incorrect; they are just not the most common terms used by English-speakers to describe those elements of our equipment. Also for those who English is a second (or third) language, I sure wouldn’t correct flippers/goggles, bc I wouldn’t even be able to come close in their primary language.

@Ddk96

EDIT: referring to things by the proper terms is important. As I recently mentioned in another thread:

Mask, not goggles

Air, not oxygen (when referring to basic compressed air used as breathing gas)

Fins, not flippers

I agree with about air vs oxygen, but there are a lot of people who call fins flippers and / or masks, goggles. If one is being pedantic, neither term is incorrect; they are just not the most common terms used by English-speakers to describe those elements of our equipment. Also for those who English is a second (or third) language, I sure wouldn’t correct flippers/goggles, bc I wouldn’t even be able to come close in their primary language.

Calling mask goggle or fin flipper is very different than calling air oxygen. For a non diver, that is another story, a diver should make this very distinctive. It can be life or dead. I believe and hope dive course in very language make this very clear what we breath in out back is NOT oxygen.

The changing terminology of SCUBA over the decades. I started diving in goggles and flippers.

The term mask was used in the US to differentiate from the eyepiece goggles, however the definition of goggles makes no distinction between the two styles. One has to get into specialized technical definitions under mask to find the scuba usage.

Flippers are appendages used by various sea creatures to propel themselves and the term was used because of that. Fins are used for the same purposes, and won't be confused with an old TV show.

Both sets of terms may get more interesting depending, in the whole scuba community, on foreign definitions of these words which may be more precise, or in different colequocial usage, than ours.

Also SCUBA is an acronym, which has changed to the word scuba which has different meanings.

And don't forget a single fin is the end to a foreign movie.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom