Did ScubaBoard sweep the Solo forum under the rug again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I did not mean to get ugly about it, but if more users showed their desire to have access to the Solo forum it might encourage the changes required. Anyway, I guess we see how it all plays out.

In fact I have a letter from Drew Richardson stating emphatically that PADI did not condone solo diving, wasn't a fan of solo diving, and would never offer a solo diving course.

I can dig it up if you'd like. I guess it was true, PADI does not offer a solo diving course.
Just curious when this letter is dated.

Well I did not mean to get ugly about it, but if more users showed their desire to have access to the Solo forum ...
Not the least bit ugly. :)

Been done, Pete was very much in favor of opening it up. My guess is that the permissions got messed up in the last upgrade. No malice intended by the powers that be.

-I'll stay on it. Somewhat funny, this is the way I wanted it last year and now I'm working to open it up....

Not the least bit ugly. :)

-I'll stay on it. Funny, this is the way I wanted it last year and now I'm working to open it up....

Good Luck. It just seems counter-productive to have helpful discussions hidden to divers considering solo diving. I can see limiting the ability to post on some forums but limiting the ability to read is weird to me.

We were trained to dive not be guided around like puppies on a leash.
In some parts of the world, n00bs still are. Don't assume that the attitudes in warm water tourist destinations are universal everywhere. My reality aligns a lot more with @NWGratefulDiver's reality than with yours.

Good Luck. It just seems counter-productive to have helpful discussions hidden to divers considering solo diving. I can see limiting the ability to post on some forums but limiting the ability to read is weird to me.
Here was the previous thinking that starts with the typical rant that we all expected:
...//... "Solo is bad" "Solo is bad but if you do it the way I do it, is not so bad" "You are out of your mind if you don't do as I say"

...and let's not forget the continuous sprinklings of "I always make sure to explain to others how I only solo under A-B and C circumstances, but that's bad"

To have that here? really? look around, is so nice and quiet... ...//...
Pete took the giant step and opened it up to the membership at large. Wide open for all to see and post. No POV warriors came in and trashed the place. It was all good.

My guess is that the "upgrade" just bobbled the permissions.

In some parts of the world, n00bs still are. Don't assume that the attitudes in warm water tourist destinations are universal everywhere. My reality aligns a lot more with @NWGratefulDiver's reality than with yours.

Well I'm glad to hear scuba diving is still taught somewhere.

I don't get to go to warm water destinations, I only get to read about what goes on there. My reality is here in the cold dark waters of New England were most warm water trained divers don't dive because the water is tooooooo cold and the gear too heavy. I do read of the "adventures" of others that post of hiring DMs to guide them thru those warm clear waters. Or others that can't setup their own rigs or can't seem to be able to tell if their valve is opened closed or somewhere in between until they are well into their dive because they are OOA and need to be rescued.

I did get "certified" AOW a few years ago and darn neared fell asleep during classes where I already knew everything that was covered as well as the laughable nitrox class that was included; $300.00 USD that I'd like to have back; a complete waste of my time and money. If that is what passes for AOW then no wonder the A&I section is so busy!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom