Did you shave your mustache to dive??

To have or not to have, the leaking determines the question!

• I have a mustache, leaks a little, I live with it!

Votes: 113 30.9%
  • I have a mustache, I use grease, no leaks that way!

Votes: 13 3.6%
  • I had a mustache, had to shave it off in order to get a good fit.

Votes: 57 15.6%
  • Never had a mustache, my mask never gets wet.

Votes: 37 10.1%
  • Whats a mustache?

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Have a mustache, found a mask that fits.

Votes: 46 12.6%
  • I trimmed the moustache just below the nose... mask works fine!

Votes: 84 23.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a moustache (actually a goatee + moustache) and recently got certified. I have a Tusa Splendive II and it fits pretty good. No more leak than anyone else I don't think.

Shaneel

... and when I bought my mask, the salesman gave me a tube of silicone grease. Well, during my cert dives, I forgot the grease. So, I just trimmed my goatee using a shaver on the "1" setting (pretty short), and had no problems at all.

The mask is a Scubapro Clearvu.

Magic

I originally got certified 8 years ago without a mustache, but I had a helluva time with mask leakage. It took me forever (3 years) to find a mask that fit my head (its not just large but wide). Once I found a Mares Lirica I've stuck with it, even if they are a bit expensive. I've tried an Oceanic Shadow in a shop and that seems a good fit as well, but its just as pricey as the Lirica.

I've tried diving some with a mustache, but since the girlfriend doesn't like it anyway I keep the upper lip pretty clean. What seems to give me more of a problem is 1-2 days of upper lip growth (if I'm on a trip with out the missus).

I do have a chin beard, but as long as I don't mix up my reg and mask that usually doesn't cause a problem.

Only a slighty different subject, 6 years ago just before a trip to Grand Cayman I shaved my head (what little hair was left that is). The day we did Stingray City I lathered my big ol'knoggin with suntan lotion. What a huge mistake, I sweat a lot (profuse only begins to describe it) and by the time I got in the water my eyes were burning as if I'd rub them after making a jalapeno pizza. If I didn't have a video I'd have no idea what Charlie the Moray looks like. It was one of the most uncomfortable dives of my life, and I was only in 4-5 meters of water.

Dont know if Im just lucky, or if its my Ocean Master mask, with purge.. I have cut it off, (some guys will do anything to make a lady happy), and have grown it back. Strangely enough, the mask leaks (on rare occaission - both ways) are not consistant.

Maybe, its one of those stray eyebrows Dee... :D :D

Trim it every now and then to make sure the nose hairs dont get hid. :rolleyes:

Dave

btw: the poll was kinda tough, at least three answers applied.
:patriot:

I used to have a goatee, glad I did not have to find out if it would leak or not, I shaved it before I started diving

Well... I shaved mine. Got tired of clearing my mask so often and didn't want to grease up with vaseline or some other stuff. Since shaving, my Tusa Platina rarely has to cleared during a dive. BTW the Platina is the best mask I've ever had. It fits perfectly. Minus the mustache, it just doesn't leak. :tree: Bob

:tribute:

After trying several different masks this is by far the best I have had so far. I keep my mustache trimmed and I get just a small amount of water but it does not get in the way. Compared to the others the Tusa Brand is the one I will recommed everytime. I do not plan on shaving I have had several different variations of mustache/beard combos over the past 20 years but the mustache is original equiptment, never shaved it. I honestly do not know how I would look without it. I will live with the slight leak for now.

:bshades: :bshades:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom