Did you shave your mustache to dive??

To have or not to have, the leaking determines the question!

• I have a mustache, leaks a little, I live with it!

Votes: 113 30.9%
  • I have a mustache, I use grease, no leaks that way!

Votes: 13 3.6%
  • I had a mustache, had to shave it off in order to get a good fit.

Votes: 57 15.6%
  • Never had a mustache, my mask never gets wet.

Votes: 37 10.1%
  • Whats a mustache?

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Have a mustache, found a mask that fits.

Votes: 46 12.6%
  • I trimmed the moustache just below the nose... mask works fine!

Votes: 84 23.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I shaved my mustache about a year ago. I got tired of clearing my mask. Seems like no matter how short I trimmed it, my mask would leak just enought to be annoying. So, I shaved, and no more mask leak! Now It's unusual if I even have to clear my mask during a dive. My mask? A Tusa Platina. It fits my face real well. :tree: Bob

I have a beard currently. It keeps me warm on wintery days here in the north east. I have however had to modify things to dive effectivly. I now look like the Quaker Oats Guy on the cerial box. You may remember a guy with a beard minus the mustash. I've been called a Lepracaun, an Amish kinda dude, and some other less flattering terms. It works for me though, the beard that is.
Wreck/Tec

There was a time in my impetuous youth that I resembled the Zig Zag poster boy. Long hair and a mid evil appearance. That time has past, and now I watch for the day when one of my daughters brings home a desiple of that era. I am about to recieve payback from all the parents I gave sleepless nights to.
Wreck/Tec

I'm using a Sherwood Genesis SL, no leak problem at all. But one trick that I use is, I move the mask strap higher on the back of my head. this causes the mask to slightly pivot in on the bottom and it keeps any masks I have ever used dry.

D

But I didn't shave it for diving. My daughter was about 5 or 6 and asked me to shave my mustache. I did and it's been gone ever since. My wife say's I'll do anything for my kids. She is mostly right. :)

I have a mustache and beard and always have just the slightest of leaks into my mask. I wear an old U.S. Divers Purge mask and clear it easily with a quick blow through the nose every now and then. I don't even notice it anymore. It's a great mask, but I broke it on my last dive and can't find the replacement part. Does anyone have a purge mask that they would recommend?

I've voted!!!!
Oh - and just incase your wondering - I voted that I havent got one.....a mustache that is!!! :wink:

plus its like fly fishing...going into work on Monday with the backs of my hands tanned - you know I've been fishing.

Go in Monday, thin Charles Bronson-esque 'stash - been diving.

Yeah...I'm pretty much a big dork.

k

I have a Ocean master with a purge seems to work fine. The only problem for me is if I don't have the strap low enough on my head the purge touches my nose. I am use to it it does not bother me. Once you get used to the purge it is hard to go back.
BOB

but I have to agree with NetDoc. I did the top trim on my 'stache. No leaks, and it looks better this way--cleaner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom