Did you shave your mustache to dive??

To have or not to have, the leaking determines the question!

• I have a mustache, leaks a little, I live with it!

Votes: 113 30.9%
  • I have a mustache, I use grease, no leaks that way!

Votes: 13 3.6%
  • I had a mustache, had to shave it off in order to get a good fit.

Votes: 57 15.6%
  • Never had a mustache, my mask never gets wet.

Votes: 37 10.1%
  • Whats a mustache?

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Have a mustache, found a mask that fits.

Votes: 46 12.6%
  • I trimmed the moustache just below the nose... mask works fine!

Votes: 84 23.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Mares Lirica as my primary mask. It leaks, a lot, as do all my others when I do nothing. Depending on how many dives I am planning I may just goo up the mustache with a little silicone grease which helps, but I still get a little leakage. If I will be doing multiple dives over multiple days, I trim it a bit below the nose, add a dollop of silicone and no more leaking mask.

SeaHunt

lingfish once bubbled...
Some male members of the diving community never have to shave.

Just ask merkiwi. He's of the oriental persausion. hehe.

:)

Hey, you should know that the word 'Asian' is more appropriate. No one's ever heard of a caucoriental.

I think shaving's overrated. I believe in douching with lighter fluid and applying a match. Much cleaner and closer results and quite cost effective. Only problem is I have to redraw my eyebrows every morning.

I voted "...had to shave it off" but it wasn't my vote! My husband shaved his off to dive, much to my dismay! Now with all this info about masks that work with mustaches, he can grow it back! YEAH

Thanks y'all!

i have a goatee with the mustache shaved. makes me look like something from star trek, but my mask doesn't leak and it may be the only cool thing about me...

got4boyz once bubbled...
I voted "...had to shave it off" but it wasn't my vote! My husband shaved his off to dive, much to my dismay! Now with all this info about masks that work with mustaches, he can grow it back! YEAH

Thanks y'all!
The Lovely Young Kat said "shave it and die!"
So I've never been tempted to do so.
Rick

Because I don't have a mustache, but I still get water in my mask...oh wait...thats from the zero viz and running into other people's fins...

Either way if I grew a 'stach...it would look pretty dumb since it would be blonde...so no stahce...no H20 in da mask
-TT

After 25 years with a mustache and beard most of the time, I feel naked without. (Last time I shaved it off, my youngest then 5, now 17, wasn't sure who I was). The fact is, I have a face that looks much better hidden under hair. :D
I trim a bit and no leakage problem with my Tusa Liberator.

Kent
:stooges:

So I never had to shave it.

But in light of this thread, I am now thinking of growing one just in order to later shave it for a better mask fit.

Ari :wink:

I shaved mine earlier this month after doing battle with my mask one to many times. We were in FP and I didn't feel like looking for a new mask down there, so off it came. Last time I was clean shaven was 10 years ago at my wedding.

My mask doesn't leak anymore...and best of all my wife says I look 10 years younger!:D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom