Difference between a good instruction and a bad instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Felipe Telles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,

This text is about what I'm experiencing this week and my history as a diver. This week my mother-in-law is geeting certified. I'm following her classes everyday for at least a little time, both inside the pool or in the classroom, and I can see how bad my instruction was. I will begin with my certification process:

-Me and my fiancee signed up for the cheapest scuba classes we could find. It was not just the cheapest but also the fastest. We tought: Oh great! What can differ from one LDS from another? It's just scuba diving, it can't be that hard, there's no way it can have been diferences between the classes. We will stay less time in the classroom and in the pool, but so what? We want to dive in the sea, not wacth a boring class or stay in a pool preteding we were diving.

We signed up for the class, and watched the instructional video two times, read the whole material and answered all the questions in the book, and learned how to read and work with the tables. We were ready for the classes. Our first class was in the classroom, and our instructor came up and asked: did you guys watched the whole video? Did you understand how to read tables? Do have any questions about the book? And that was pretty much everything that happened during the first day.

Second day we moved on to the pool. We put on the wetsuits, were taught how to set up a scuba unit (tanks, regs, bc...). Jumped in the water with everything ready and we don everything (masks, fins, bcs). This was really uncomfortable, we were confined to a very small space. It was a pool rented from a swim school nearby, and we were only allowed to stay in ONE lane. That meant 5 people confined to a space that was only 6 feet in width, and we couldn't get much farther apart from each water because the water was milky. It really sucked, I cramped for almost half of our classtime. We learned on how to take our regs of, how to purge it, how to clean the mask, fin pivot........ you know, the basics.

Third day again in the pool. Set up and jump in the water. Again the same crappy pool. This time we learned the emergency procedures. Everything went well, and in the end of the class we could swin a lap or two underwater if we wanted to.

This was the end of the classes, we had our check-out in the following weekend. Nothing really special, just four dives to demonstrate our skills learned during the week knelling down in the bottom of the sea. We do it without any major problems.

Ok, now we're certified! Our following dives were our nitrox checkout dive (not mandatory but the school offered it) and our AOW dives. And with 10 dives me and my fiancee were Advance Open Water divers and Nitrox divers. Can't this be better? Oh yeah, we were offered just after we complete our AOW to start EFR+rescue and then DM. This way our instructor said we could have 80 dives "for free" just by paying the DM course. :eyebrow: This time we thought a little and said :no: .

-------------------

This happened a year ago. This week as I said before my mother-in-law is getting certified. This time we didn't just thought about the money, but we thought about everything that can happen (and happened a lot of times with us)t o a badly certified scuba diver. The LDS we chose for her to take the classes is now the LDS we chose for everything (gear, traveling, courses). The instructor for this LDS became a very good friend of me and my fiancee and also is our mentor. We were retaught SCUBA diving after two sessions in the pool with him.

His course was not cheap. She paid 50% more than I paid for my certification. His courses are structured in the following way: First day is in the classroom, second and third in the pool and on the fourth back to the classroom, fifth day is in a deep pool (10 feet deep).

The first day was about how everything works on scuba diving, the pressure changes, how our body reacts, how to chose equipament. It was really about to know what's scuba is all about. This class took four and a half hours. A little less than my whole scuba learning process took.

Second day was on the pool (the pool was much bigger than what I had my training). 1 hour to set everything properly, to check everything, to make sure everything is working well. Now to the pool. She didn't put all the equip on already. she got used to breath underwater, with nothing more than just the second stage. No mask. As she progressed he stimulated her to take the reg off and put it back on, to blow the air through the nose. After maybe an hour doing this it was time for she to put the bc with the tank, but no mask yet. Before that they made a little weight check and she was taught on how to set up a weight belt (mine was already given to me without an explanation). She was taught on how to properly deflate a BC (I dived a lot of times overweighted because I couldn't let all the air go off my BC), and then she went down. She didn't knell down but instead she just stood laying flat in the floor feeling how her breathing can affect her bouyance, again without a mask. Finally she puts her mask on, and quickly learned how to clean it by blowing through her nose which was a walk in the park since she was already doing that without the mask. Now the instructor makes up a challenge to her. He tells her to take her mask down to the neck, put the regulator on, and put back the mask and clean it. This way she practiced everything she learned that day in one exercise. This was without knelling down. She does it in the first try. The class lasted for about 4 and a half hour again. She could take two whole courses with me already...

Second day in the pool was about kicking tecniques and emergency procedures. She was taught the flutter kick, the frog, the half flutter, and the back kick. I didn't even now that there was differents kicks in scuba. Of course, she didn't became proficient in these kicks, but at least she knew that they exist and how to perform it. Righ after there was emergency procedures. I couldn't watch it but by what she told me it was nothing fancy, just the basic stuff. Again 4 and half hours

Second day in the classroom she learned tables, and how the whole nitrogen thing works. I couldn't watch this again. Again 4 and half hours.

Tomorrow we are going to the deep pool. There she we'll learn on how to equalize, to work on her kicks, to the descend the line, how to do the giant stride. All the stuff she has to do in the sea.

The checkout I really don't know how's going to be, but I'll write it as soon as I can.

Anyway, there's A LOT you can learn with good instruction. It may cost more sometimes but it's well worth it. It's your life at risk while you're diving. This is priceless.

Also, there are things which a good instructor may present you in the begining, that if you are not taught you will learn, one way or another. But it will take time, some dives in your belt, and some bad surprises underwater.

I learned on how a good instructor can be valueable in some acidents I had, it wasn't anything dangerous, but it could become, as anything in scuba. I owe a lot to this guy, he's a very good friend and a great mentor.

This may be tiring to read, but if you're thinking about diving it might be worth it! :)

Yestarday we went to the deep pool.

Weight check again, and then practice descending on a line. She had some problems to descend, she was feeling a little anxious and wasn't able to fully deflate her BC, she was a little horizontal while trying to do it. This was something that happened to me a lot when I started and is not a big deal. Other thing she was having problems with was with her bouancy. She found very hard to mantain neutral, and had some incontrolable ascents. We may go to the pool again next week to practice more, her checkout dives will be in another two weeks. Maybe the second time in the pool will be more fun.

Felipe, it sounds like she is getting a fantastic class!

Buoyancy comes easier to some people than to others, and it takes time. It's good that she has all this pool time to work on it. I had a lot of problems with buoyancy at the beginning, but I eventually learned. Tell her to take heart and not give up!

Felipe points out something that has troubled me from time to time, and that is the tremendous variation in quality of instruction within the diving world. . Certification agencies pronounce standards and work to enforce them, but there is still a variation within each agency from facility to facility, and , sadly, sometimes between instructors at the same local dive center. I hope everyone who decides to get certified will do so through a recognized agency with appropriate standards. Once you do that, you eliminate a lot of the potential problems of improper or substandard training. New students can also enhance their experience by being diligent in doing their "book work" in advance of class. Let's face facts: beyond these two things, instructor competence and thoroughness varies. If you are a student diver, and you feel as if something is "not right," let the dive shop manger or director of training (if they have one) know. On thing we do at the shop that I am affiliated with is to have one instructor do book and pool, and different instructors do open water training. Chances are good that if there is a need to provide correction or additional work on certain skills, it will happen with the second instructor. While this rarely happens, there are occasions where the "second team" of instructors and DM's may notice a trend with a certain "first phase" instructor, and then correction can be given to the instructor. Competent instructors welcome the constructive criticism and become better. Diving is serious fun, and dive training should be fun too. Look for a local dive center that has been around a while, is affiliated with one of the international certification agencies that have been around a while, and check out their facilities and equipment. Don't sacrifice fun and quality to save a few dollars. Diving is a wonderful activity you will enjoy for a lifetime. It's worth a few dollars more to get off to a strong beginning.
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

Felipe, it sounds like she is getting a fantastic class!

Buoyancy comes easier to some people than to others, and it takes time. It's good that she has all this pool time to work on it. I had a lot of problems with buoyancy at the beginning, but I eventually learned. Tell her to take heart and not give up!

She was very sad by the end of the day. She was expecting to be diving like an experienced diver whitin a few minutes in the water. Seeing how hard it is will allow her to pursue more and more training and diving time, even if it is in a deep pool. It really pays of in the end, when you diving your dive of a lifetime and feel secure and really comfortable in the water. This is why I'm always after practicing and experience.

DivemasterDennis,

It's hard to see that some dive shops are only after money. It's very exausting even for its employees. Some of the instructors of the dive shop I got certified got tired of this way of always looking for the costumer's wallet and they ended up teaching for another dive shop after some months doing it. It's not fun, and after realizing that you were just part of it, makes you a little disapointed. I don't mind buying gear, trips, training in the LDS I support, even if it's a little more expensive. I know I'll have their support for everything I need.

My instruction/certification wasn't quite as bad as yours but pretty bad. Class was way too big, not enough pool time, not taught proper weighting procedure.....that alone caused me to lag behind in progressing. As we all know, correct weighting is the 1st step for control of buoyancy. And without good buoyancy, you're pretty much out of control. Never taught proper finning technique.

I guess the way 'they' looked at it was if you didn't panic or run out of air, you were good enough. Looking back, I learned more here on SB and on my own than I did with instruction. I do want to say I hired a DM to help me with my buoyancy and I highly recommend the same to those who recieved 'less than competent instruction'.

Reactions: Jax
This is the reason I wrote my book. To help people avoid getting taken advantage of and to help them find quality instruction. As you have so clearly illustrated all OW classes are not the same. And especially between agencies there are major differences in skills, time required, knowledge required, and level of comfort necessary to obtain a certification.

"It was not just the cheapest but also the fastest."

There are agencies that target this approach specifically, and plenty of instructors out there and on this forum that provide this sort of training.
Unfortunately this approach works because they take advantage of a group of people that don't know any better (non-divers wanting to become divers).

Many, such as yourself find out later that there is quality to be found. But when you're new it's easy to just sign up for a class and assume that's the way divers are trained.

I think the purveyors of the cheapest and fastest approach are somewhat predatory. They produce students with such a low level of proficency that they have to immediately go into other (multiple) training classes just to get the basic skills that they should have received in their initial training.

They are sort of like the Amway of the diving world.

Anytime I read posts from instructors (demonstrators) that advocate reduced classroom and water time, I reflect back on my initial training which was similar to your experience.
I know better these days, but it sucks when I read about it so much on this board.

As you have found out from your mother-in-laws training, there are more thorough instructors out there. Unfortunately they are probably outnumbered by the McInstructors out there.
"Would you like AOW, PPB, and deep diver with that?"

-Mitch

Excellent thread topic, Felipe. Thank you for your comparison.
You can't have it all at the same time: Fast, Cheap, or top-quality. In this McWalmart 4G speed culture, it is usually quality that suffers.

Glad you found a good mentor and a thorough class for your Mom-in-law. Soon you will all be diving together, safer and more comfortable in the water than your initial introduction to diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom