DIR And Handicapped Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser:
The ADA would certainly not allow any discimination
What about the ACLU? Would they get involed

fgray1:
Does the DIR philosophy allow for the training of handicapped divers?

The question should be does the DIR philosophy allow for the training of divers with disabilities. The term "handicapped" is neither current nor PC and has been replaced by "persons with disabilites".

The various titles of the ADA deal with employment and equal access and it follows that any DIR class would have to allow equal access as long as the diver could be expected to perform the "essential" functions of a DIR course. Not all the functions neccesarily, just the "essential" ones, and that distinction is where it could legally get very sticky.

Of course the diver has to qualify as a person with a disability in the first place and then would also have to show that the disability would not place them at undue risk of harm while participating in the course. Given that diving carries inherent risks anyway that becomes another great area for lawyers to make money.

DA Aquamaster:
The question should be does the DIR philosophy allow for the training of divers with disabilities. The term "handicapped" is neither current nor PC and has been replaced by "persons with disabilites".

The various titles of the ADA deal with employment and equal access and it follows that any DIR class would have to allow equal access as long as the diver could be expected to perform the "essential" functions of a DIR course. Not all the functions neccesarily, just the "essential" ones, and that distinction is where it could legally get very sticky.

Of course the diver has to qualify as a person with a disability in the first place and then would also have to show that the disability would not place them at undue risk of harm while participating in the course. Given that diving carries inherent risks anyway that becomes another great area for lawyers to make money.
There ia a certifing agancy called HSA International (HANDICAPPED SCUBA ASSOCIATION) www.hasascuba.com . So much for your PC or current terminology. If it don't bother the people that are hadicapped don't let it bother you. Anyway thequestion is Will DIR Train Handicapped divers, other agancies have programs to do so. I haven't seem anywhere in there website that talks about it.
Fred

I agree with DA I think this topic has already been addressed but the mind is getting foggy and I can't remember where. The level and scope of people who have disabilities or are "physically challenged" puts a load on the instructor but I don't see how this would affect their ability to adopt the DIR philosophy up to the level of diving they are capable of. HSA trains people with disabilities and again depending on the disability the divers in some cases require an instructor to dive with them at all times but there would still be no reason to preclude them from the DIR philosophy, they would only be able to achieve levels of training to which they could demonstrate sufficient skills and resources.

Chris

Why not go straight to the source? I'm also sure that Mike Kane could answer this question if he is lurking around the list. I do know that Andrew Georgitsis has stated that he would work with someone if he felt they could perform the required skills. I personally know that AG worked with a one arm diver (not in the class) after one of the Gilboa Fundamental classes last May. It was pretty neat that this guy helped AG learn how to teach someone to donate the long hose when they only have the left arm to work with.

fgray1:
Does the DIR philosophy allow for the training of handicapped divers?

cudachaser:
The ADA would certainly not allow any discimination

Actually, I don't believe that the ADA is applicable as I don't believe that GUE qualifies as a public accommodation under the ADA. I also don't see it coming within the scope of any other type of activity covered by the ADA.

GUE teaches very specific skills that are designed to produce a safe, skilled diver. If a diver can perform the skills, then I can't imagine that it would make any difference whether they had a disability.

If a diver cannot perform the required skills, then certifying them is not appropriate, regardless of the reason for their failure to perform.

On a more practical level, all of the GUE guys I've met have been pretty reasonable. I can easily see them working with a diver to teach them GUE's skills, equipment and training philosophy. Moreover, it is quite possible that the instructor and the diver could devise alternative means of performing particular skills, in which case certification might be appropriate.

However, doing so is simply not required under the ADA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom