DIR And Handicapped Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver:
Nice troll.

If you'd lose the attitude, you'd find out that there are a number of disabled divers that dive DIR. It can be accomodated. But it's not standard, so the answers you got were correct.

Or was it your intention just to p*ss on DIR? Sure seems like it.

I was not intending to upset anyone, my boyfriend is actually starting to take GUE classes and is doing the dir-f course in a few weeks i actually have alot of respect for the DIR way of diving and thats why i would love to take the classes. Unfortunitly if i have to config my gear differently then i wont be able to take the classes. I will still adapt many of there methods of diving but i might have to do my trainning with another agency. I wish i did not have to cause i really want to be a trainned DIR diver but everyone is telling my i might have to go elsewhere.

OK - here's my dumb question - why can't you just operate your inflator hose with your right hand???

My inflator is on the left hand side, where it should be, but more often than not, I just reach over and give it a quick squeeze with my right hand.

bubblemaker20:
Unfortunitly if i have to config my gear differently then i wont be able to take the classes.
You don't sound like someone who is willing to give up so easily :wink:
Have you asked your BF's instructor about your concerns? S/he may be able to help work out a solution for you...

I've merged bubblemaker20's thread with already existing thread on this topic. I encourage anyone that did not participate in the original thread to go back and re-read the entire thread to see if what you have to say has already been said.

In addition, it would behoove everyone to carefully read MHK's replies, since MHK is a GUE instructor.

Roger (that's "Roak" with his moderator hat on)

Actually I believe the above question was due to a legitimate limited mobility of the left arm requiring (or preferring for reasons of safety and agility) the dump on the right side and the right arm to be used.

Detroit diver there was no trolling involved. Bubblemaker20 does need to chill out a notch or two but so do you and the question remains an honest one none the less.

Good advice Snowbear. Better to just go to the source.

bubblemaker20 just ask the instructor Dan MacKay via email at training@northerntechdiver.com or call him. You're BF has the number.

boycotton:
Rick Murchison:
Don't confuse doing it right with "DIR."
Excellent post Rick! Nice to know some still seek knowledge over the egomaniacal ritual of one group.
I want to be clear here. "DIR" is a perfectly wonderful and mature diving style with wide application. Where I mainly differ (I say "mainly" because I do have one specific bone - the horizontal ascent all the way to the surface - where I think "DIR" is flat-out wrong) is that I believe "DIR" is not the only way to "do it right;" that there are often better - or equally fine but different - ways to do things, depending on the dive, the conditions, the team and the objectives.
But let there be no doubt - a lot the best divers in the world have put a lot of experience, thought, lessons learned and solid science into "DIR" and we'd be foolish to not use what it has to offer to the extent it fits into what's "right" for each of us on any particular dive and with any particular team.
Or, to put it another way, to me, "DIR" is a tool set, but not the whole toolbox.
Rick

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom