DIR "Approved Equipment" ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ams511

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have read (but not studied) J.J.'s book. The book seemed very neutral about specific brands of gear except for a few exceptions (buy Halcyon). Some of the stuff I see about DIR on the web is very brand specific. Only Scuba Pro or Apeks regs will do. You need a light that is cylindrical in shape not square. Buy Jet fins (although the book did advocate spring straps). Where do these recommendations come from? Are they BS or is there some list somewhere of approved equipment? I am not trying to troll (can this be used as a verb?) but what is the true story?

If you read the book, you should understand that the recommendations come from thorough, critical analysis of every process, technique, and piece of gear. The gear is chosen (and in some cases has been created) specifically to maximize diver efficiency and efficacy in any possible situation.

Apeks and SP regs because they're simple, reliable, and able to be taken apart and cleaned underwater. Jet Fins because they're stiff an enable you to effectively perform many different styles of kick. Spring straps because they're easier to put on and won't break like rubber straps. Cylindrical battery canisters because square ones are less crush-resistant.

All the decisions are made as the result of actually thinking through all possible underwater situations and how best to manage them. Many parts of the system don't work without the other parts. The system was created at Wakulla Springs where such a system proved necessary for doing the record breaking penetration dives safely.

So, to answer your question, there's not exactly a list anywhere, but (as you read in the book) there are lists of requirements. They're not random, they're what works. GUE seems to try not to recommend specific brands for a variety of reasons, but the guys on SB won't hesitate to tell you what brands to buy :wink:

If you take a GUE course, you'll find that - as you noted with the book - DIR is less 'manufacturer-specific' and more 'feature-specific'. Equipment that performs to certain standards and criteria is acceptable; manufacturer is less important.

There is a rationale behind all standards or criteria. Whether you choose to agree with the rationale is up to you. With respect to "where do these recommendations come from?", the vast majority come from organized cave exploration efforts.

They are not BS. OTOH, they may not apply to the diving you do. One small example: Regulator selection. One common definition of technical diving is 'diving where - should an emergency or malfunction occur - one cannot surface to correct it'. This is either because a physical overhead prevents surfacing, or a decompression obligation exists that may put the diver in a wheelchair if s/he surfaces. A cave meets this definition. Many caves have silt or coarse sand in them. Grit or particulate matter can become lodged in/behind the mushroom of the second stage, causing the second stage to malfunction. With the ability to partially disassemble the second stage and dislodge the stuck particle, this problem can be solved underwater. But with a second stage that cannot be partially disassembled underwater the diver is left with a problem that cannot easily be resolved without turning off the post - which has other consequences. Therefore, in a technical environment, using a regulator second stage with a faceplate that can be unscrewed without tools to clear malfunctions is a distinct advantage.

There isn't a list of approved equipment per se, but there are sites where you can find the criteria and standards that often define acceptable equipment. Some of these are here:
http://www.wkpp.org/equipment.htm

http://www.gue.com/equipment/index.shtml

http://www.baue.org/library/index.html#about_dir

DIR is a topic discussed often on this board. Using the search feature will guide you to numerous previous threads, each with its advocates and skeptics. I urge you to keep an open mind, consider all arguments, and form your own opinions.

Regards,

Doc

Thanks for your replies. What prompted my interest in DIR is that I am switching from one environment to another. I used to live in Florida, did primarily beach dives where the max depth is about 20 ft. I know you can drown in a bucket of water but to me warm clear 20ft water was not much of a risk. I could always swim to the surface in the event of any equipment failure. Now I am in Pennsylvania where the diving is deeper and the water is colder, the risk is greater so I am looking to upgrade both my equipment and my diving skills.

I currently don't do any technical diving. I may sometime in the future, that is why I would rather purchase better equipment now especially being that the incremental cost of better equipment is not that much higher. However the equipment selection is confusing when people make specific recommendations. For instance regulators. From what I understand is Apeks regs were/are sold under different brand names: Apeks, Sea Quest, Zeagle, and Aqualung. So why would an Apeks be "DIR approved" while a Titan LX not be?

I will check the websites you all suggested. Thanks again for your help.

P.S. I always had spring straps, I have a pair of the old Oceanic fins that had them. To me I never understood why all fins were not attached this way. They are the best.

ams511:
Thanks for your replies. What prompted my interest in DIR is that I am switching from one environment to another. I used to live in Florida, did primarily beach dives where the max depth is about 20 ft. I know you can drown in a bucket of water but to me warm clear 20ft water was not much of a risk. I could always swim to the surface in the event of any equipment failure. Now I am in Pennsylvania where the diving is deeper and the water is colder, the risk is greater so I am looking to upgrade both my equipment and my diving skills.

I currently don't do any technical diving. I may sometime in the future, that is why I would rather purchase better equipment now especially being that the incremental cost of better equipment is not that much higher. However the equipment selection is confusing when people make specific recommendations. For instance regulators. From what I understand is Apeks regs were/are sold under different brand names: Apeks, Sea Quest, Zeagle, and Aqualung. So why would an Apeks be "DIR approved" while a Titan LX not be?

I will check the websites you all suggested. Thanks again for your help.

P.S. I always had spring straps, I have a pair of the old Oceanic fins that had them. To me I never understood why all fins were not attached this way. They are the best.

First of all - it continues to sadden me that many legitimate questions about DIR are prefaced or qualified with statements like "this is not a troll...", etc. If you get pounced on for asking a real question, PM me and I'll take the loser out back and pummel them with my worthless split fins.

ANYWAY - as mentioned, its feature specific most of the time. Heck, I dive Atomic regs. Breathe great, work great, less filling. I am DIR and have no intentions of switching to SP, Apeks or anything else.

I'm a recreational diver who is DIR - I have no desire to go to 300 feet schlepping 4 deco bottles, on a scooter, into a cave, etc, etc... I flop in, dive for a bit, get out for awhile, then do it all again. DIR works for me.

You're asking the right questions - NEVER lemming out and never stop asking why, my friend. You're right on the mark when you say buying the good stuff isn't honestly that much more money (sometimes, its less...) Heck, 99% of my rig (Back plate, wing, can light, fins, gloves, mask, bag, regs, bottom timer, etc, etc...) all came from eBay!

Be smart, ask a lot of questions, and most of all, dive with some of us. We don't bite.

Enjoy the ride.

K

Mo2vation:
You're asking the right questions - NEVER lemming out and never stop asking why, my friend. You're right on the mark when you say buying the good stuff isn't honestly that much more money (sometimes, its less...) Heck, 99% of my rig (Back plate, wing, can light, fins, gloves, mask, bag, regs, bottom timer, etc, etc...) all came from eBay!

K

Thanks for the support Mo2vation ! I never intend to stop asking questions and getting opinions. When I first starting diving 13 years ago I knew nothing and was taken advantage of and spend too much money that wasn't needed and too little that was. This is the danger of being uninformed. Luckily, brand name dive gear manufacturers do build quality into all levels of there diving line.

Just thought I would pipe in here...
as for the Apeks reg question... Seaquest and Apeks are both under the Aqualung name. They bought Apeks to get the patent on the ATX 200 first stage and now make their own version in the Legend LX (not the titan) so I would imagine that it would be acceptable to use that reg instead. The Apeks ATX 50 is just like the Beuchat VX10 which are both also fine regs (don't know about the DIRness of Beuchat).
(sorry to interupt... the customer service in me is unstoppable. hehehe)

The book never mentions to buy halcyon. At least not in my edition.

Nor does it advocate only two brands of regs, one brand of fins, etc.

It deals with prefered mechanics and configurations not brands. There is still plenty of room in DIR diving for individuality that way.

The absolute this brand or nothing suggestions would be coming from the loud mouths on message boards that know all things. See the 10% rule in the Quest archives for an explanation of this particular breed of super stroke/cyber diver.

As M mentioned. Don't be a lemming and follow one of these 10%'ers over any cliffs any time soon. Question all things and don't assume the loudest voice is in charge.

Is to set up a time to do DIR-F and ask your instructor about gear choices.

Working directly with a GUE instructor is your best bet. They will explain how to choose what to use and why.

pipedope:
Working directly with a GUE instructor is your best bet. They will explain how to choose what to use and why.

Keeping in mind that a lot of them own dive stores of their own and when talking to one or another you will get variations on what gear to use based on the gear they personally use or the gear they get the best margins on. :wink:

These recommendations will change from instructor to instructor because they are a/ Human and have opinions of their own and b/ Need to make a buck as much as anyone else and would love you to buy their gear from them. This part is actually well covered in the DIR-F manual when they mention quality education doesn't come cheap.

DIR-F classes are an excellent source of income for GUE associated dive shops. Don't kid yourself.

Do I care? Not really. I already own all the "in" gear. There is no shame in earning an honest buck selling quality dive gear.

The only shame is that people have to be ripped out of their "stroke" gear and resold another rig.

If only they would give everyone a cup of Kool Aid at birth so much money could be saved. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom