DIR Class: The Truth Comes Out (Again)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MikeFerrara:
SeaJay you are a piece of work if ever I saw one.

Really, "the biggest?" Oh, Mike... You flatter me. :D

My biggest problem a year ago was my attitude. I thought I was "okay." I almost quit because I saw the "bar" that these guys set... And for the first time, I realized how far from that bar I really was.

It was especially obvious when I watched AndrewG and Mike Kane "hover." I'd never seen anything like that. I tried it, and helplessly bobbed to the surface. "Frustration" is a radical understatement.

Well, this time I took the Fundies class largely in a 10' deep pool - right under the surface, where buoyancy is hardest. It also leaves no room for error.

After the skills training, we "graduated" to a couple of 60-80 foot dives off of Ft. Lauderdale.

My final eval was intensely accurate - I already knew all of my numbers, and they showed without a doubt where I still need work. But I far exceeded minimums in every category, and I managed to achieve the only perfect score in any category for the weekend. It was in the Buoyancy category. Take that, self-doubt. :D

I'm humbled by my accomplishment. I had to change many, many things mentally to be able to do that physically.

But the best part of the whole weekend was RavenC's accomplishment. Here's a girl who's sole exposure to the DIR skills has been JJ's book and the videos online... And practicing with me, because I needed someone to practice with. She, too, passed the Fundies course. Her first.

...Which means that my changes have reached much further than I could have ever hoped for.

Perhaps she'll tell you about her accomplishment.

Congrats to both of you.

You bring up a good point here
SeaJay:
But the best part of the whole weekend was RavenC's accomplishment. Here's a girl who's sole exposure to the DIR skills has been JJ's book and the videos online... And practicing with me, because I needed someone to practice with. She, too, passed the Fundies course. Her first.

...Which means that my changes have reached much further than I could have ever hoped for.

It's catchy. One person diving better gets other around them wanting to and they get others and so on.

I think it's a good thing.

Congrats! Now you can continue with the DIR Philosophy in the rest of your life. I posted this link on another thread... but thought it might be needed here. It's a reprint of an email I just got... thought you might enjoy. :wink:

DIR is for more than just diving!

SeaJay:
I'd elaborate, but I might offend someone. I might say something that the lowest common denominator might not be able to handle without getting their panties in a wad. I might not be suitable for children. I might say something with some substance, and I might get censored or even banned.
Feel better now that you got tht off your chest? Glad you actually told us something about the class on your second post, before they moved this thread to Whine and Cheese.
Actually, your use of the word, "WAD" offended me, knowing full well it stands for White American Dude. :wink:

Oh Rick ... that's ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ad ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

SeaJay - way to go! Heartfelt congrats. A perfect score? My understanding from Brandon is that if you get a perfect score then you become a poster child. Me - I'll never come close and will be in remedial fundamentals for quite some time!!!
All the best.

SeaJay:
Some of you may remember the thread http://www.scubaboard.com/t21992.html where I chatted excitedly about taking a DIR Fundies course. The thread still pops up from time to time.

Well, I took the course again. It's been more than a few weeks since I took it, and of course, it was an amazing experience. I'd love to tell everyone what it was like to face my demons again, this time after practicing for more than a year and a half - for this specific moment.

RavenC took the class this time, too... Amazing things happened.

I hadn't bothered to talk about them at all - which is pretty much a huge personality change from what I used to be on the board. Some people, though, have asked me time and time again to please tell them about what it was like the second time around.

Well... It was fine.

I'd elaborate, but I might offend someone. I might say something that the lowest common denominator might not be able to handle without getting their panties in a wad. I might not be suitable for children. I might say something with some substance, and I might get censored or even banned.

So... Y'all get the homogenized version:

It was fine.

See y'all around...
I might say something that the lowest common denominator might not be able to handle without getting their panties in a wad

your quote SeaJay..........i know very little about "DIR", so does that make me "the lowest common denominator" ?...............by the way, hows you pool record coming? what was it 12, 24, 36 hrs?

oleras

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom