DIR Converty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
While I have been reading a lot about DIR in the past few months, I was never actualy a full convert. I would have put my self in "It looks good, but I only want part of it" mentality a week ago.

Well, this weekend my wife and I did some dive charters out of Norther Tech in Kingston. I had the oportunity to dive with Dan McKay (DIR Tech instructor) and a few other DIR divers from the shop on Sat afternoon. I think that dive even conviced my wife.

Easecialy after comparing it to the "10 year" vetern divers on the Sun morning dives.

Dan - Impecable form. Perfect boyancy. Streamlined. Competant and above all SAFE.

10 year DM/Instructor - Danlging equipment, ankle weights, pathetic trim (Mine is better, way way better). Dangly octo dredging for artifacts in the silt. Dangly console digging in after the octo.

DIRF here we come, just have to get it booked and square away a weekend for it with Dan.

...I just finished DIRF this past weekend and was amazed at what I don't know about diving and proper technique. We had JJ, Dave Sweetin, Mike Kane, Marc Singer (GUE Videographer), and Chris Elmore (WKPP diver) all up for our class. That is about a 2:1 instructor student ratio.

Sounds like you have that first taste of what perfect buoyancy and trim looks like...once you have seen it it really opens your eyes to what divers should look like underwater. Half our class were instructors or higher from other agencies and they were equally floored watching these guys underwater. Impossible to describe....truly amazing.

Now that I have seen the bar too, it's time to get practicing!

:D

Good luck with your class!

Welcome to the beginning of your evolution to DIR. You were lucky to go on a dive where you could do your own comparison between DIR and non-DIR diving. I'm sure you'tt enjoy DIRF when you and your wife take it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom