DIR dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hantzu701

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for information on DIR dive shops in Chicago.

I am a newbie diver and would like to try a DIR setup. I understand that DIR is not for everyone, but I would like the option of going DIR if I choose to.

My LDS has dismissed DIR and is pressuring me to adopt the traditional BCD/short hose, etc. configuration - largely, I think, because they don't sell DIR equipment or have instructors who practice DIR.

As popular as DIR is I'd assume there must be some dive shops in the Chicago area. If not try Deep Blue at 101 W Capitol Dr in Milwaukee. 414-964-DIVE www.dpblue.com

It's a newer shop, but the owner has been around awhile associated with some of the other LDS in the area.

He's TDI, but has GUE training and is pro DIR. I believe they're sponsering a DIRF in Oct of this year.

Deals with Diving Concepts, Halcyon, EE, PST, ect...

I'm not associated with the shop, but I've talked to the owner a couple of times and the store front is set up pretty nice with reasonable prices.

Randy

I think what you're looking for is a Hogarthian rig, not a "DIR setup."

The Hogarthian rig is the minimalistic bp/wings setup with long primary hose, etc. This is the basic gear config used by DIR divers, but there's a lot more.

Besides, IMO, telling people you dive a Hogarthian rig sounds less obnoxious than saying you dive a DIR setup :wink:

hantzu701 once bubbled...
I'm looking for information on DIR dive shops in Chicago.

I am a newbie diver and would like to try a DIR setup. I understand that DIR is not for everyone, but I would like the option of going DIR if I choose to.

My LDS has dismissed DIR and is pressuring me to adopt the traditional BCD/short hose, etc. configuration - largely, I think, because they don't sell DIR equipment or have instructors who practice DIR.

You won't find a DIR shop in the Chicago. You can get a BP/wing with long hose from several places on the internet. I'm a couple pieces away from setting up a second rig. When I do, you're welcome to try it out, maybe at Haigh someday. Let me know.

hantzu701 once bubbled...

Exactly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom