DIR-F breath hold swim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GSmith

Registered
Reaction score
There is a standard for DIR-F candidates to have to be able to swim 50' on a single breath hold.

Can anyone tell me, is this:
1) swimming w/o fins?

2) swimming with fins?

3) Swimming with fins & scuba gear?

One of our LDS's are working hard to put on a DIR-F this year. I'm really looking foward to taking this.

naui standards are no fins,no mask,swim suit only.
i would assume dir would be similar

Wow, only 50 feet, my OW students have to go 75 feet with swimsuits and goggles (optional) only.

Agency's such as ACUC have been doing this for years as a course requirement. Basically you had to swim w/o fins or mask and no push off for the length of a olympic pool. The idea was to check comfort level and the divers VO2 max. The problem is that it goes against that 1st rule of diving - always breath.

It sounds as though you've gotten the answer from others.

Having recently taken DIR-F (it's a great class) -- and also being someone who dabbles in easy freediving frequently -- I'd pass on the following tip for completing this successfully. I've noticed that many scuba divers who do this test overexert -- kicking madly and flailing like a jackrabbit. Some have had a challenging time completing a 50-foot swim. However, the most important thing in any breathhold swimming is to keep your exertion level low, stay very calm and meditative, and try to maximize your forward motion for amount of muscle motion. Take one stroke at a time and let yourself coast as long as possible. Here's a video of David Lee, a world competitor in "dynamic without fins" (what the competitive freedivers call this kind of swim), getting across 25 meters in 21 seconds with three kick cycles):

http://www.apneablue.com/videos/david_25m ucb pass.wmv

Although he does a combination of breaststroke motions with a little dolphin kick thrown in, when I do this kind of swimming I find that I get 75% of my motion from the breaststroke arm motions alone.

Also, if you have trouble completing it, try a retest within, say, 5 minutes of the first try. Freedivers usually warm up by doing some breathhold practice (whether swimming or "static") before their swim that counts.

Hope this might help a little. Have a great time in the class, it really helped me a lot.

P.S. Two important addendums. (1) Take no more than 3 to 4 deep breaths before starting (so as to avoid problems from excessive hyperventilation). (2) Never practice breathhold swimming unless under the direct supervision of a buddy. Although the chances of blacking out in a swim this long are fairly remote, people can and do die in 1-2 feet of water in pools (including freedivers who a lifeguard was supposed to be "keeping an eye on").

50' is a piece of cake...Just get streamlined...you don't need fins.

If you try to "race" through the 50', you might fail to make it.

Take it easy. You can easily hold your breath for a minute, even if you're not in very good shape. In a minute you can EASILY move 50' through the water at a nice, relaxed pace.

If you crank up your metabolic rate you're asking for it, as CO2 buildup will make you very "air hungry" in a big hurry.

To gain more distance you can also release some air from your lungs as you start to feel the need to breath, this decreases the CO2 concentration in your system and allows you to go a little further. It's important to note that this also increases the likelyhood that you can black out. Especially when you have released most of the air from your lungs. "Frank O" has the right idea to make sure that you have someone watching.

If you really want to do it right I guess you should be releasing a small amount of air the whole time since you don't have a reg in your mouth :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom