DIR: God's gift to diving or Hell spawn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndigoBlue:
DIR is the mis-application of cave diving protocols to non-cave diving.
Easy to say, but totally wrong.

Back this statement up with some facts, please...

Roak

IndigoBlue:
DIR is the mis-application of cave diving protocols to non-cave diving.

The term DIR was stolen from early cave diving, which formerly meant "two of everything."

I just want to toss in a "me too" and say that you're absolutely wrong. Sit in on a DIRF class one weekend, then see if you can still make that assertation.

You won't.

pipedope:
With passion and commitment, but NOT with personal insult.

Thank you for keeping the focus on the discussion at hand. :eyebrow:

Thank you Michael for keeping watch.

This topic would quickly degenerate into a brawl were it not for your keenest mod-eration. Thank you for cleaning up the poo-poo, which was initiated by someone other than me, so we can get back to the original subject, which was:

Why do feathers get ruffled when you mention d.i.r.?

Well take a look. Why did they get ruffled when I pointed out that d.i.r. is the misapplication of cave diving protocols to non-cave diving? And when I pointed out that originally cave divers relied on the concept of Two Of Everything rather than a lengthy "hogarthian" nonsense protocol instead?

Feathers get ruffled because people cannot bear to hear the truth. And because d.i.r.f.ies cannot bear any criticism at all.

So I believe we have addressed the original question.

If you want to debate why it is nonsense to wear a hose longer than 40 inchers for NDL nonpenetration diving, fine, go back into the d.i.r. section and vote on it.

If you want to debate why it is nonsense to wear a backplate with a single tank, ditto, go back.

If you want to debate why it is nonsense to scuba dive without the added safety feature of a snorkel, ditto, go back.

I believe I have answered the question as to why feathers get ruffled. LOL !!

LOL... too funny. Thank you IB, I needed that.

I especially like where you quote your source on your mistaken information, too... oh, wait a minute... OK, forget that part.

Seriously, thanks IB. That's too funny.

Is because it is in the general tech forum.

This puts it in a different position than the DIR forum where it would be dumped as a troll very quickly.

Because it is here the DIR advocates do not have the right to blast it as an anti DIR troll; however, anti-DIR people do not have the right to simply bash DIR and DIR divers either.

Civil discourse is the rule.

pipedope:
Is because it is in the general tech forum.

This puts it in a different position than the DIR forum where it would be dumped as a troll very quickly.

Because it is here the DIR advocates do not have the right to blast it as an anti DIR troll; however, anti-DIR people do not have the right to simply bash DIR and DIR divers either.

Civil discourse is the rule.

DIR is a perfect protocol for any group that elects to follow it, especially if they want to follow each other into a cave as well. For open water non-penetration diving, it is a bit much, and it has major flaws for the open water. But it does make diving simpler, for those in the group who are following it. That is its main advantage. Like any other protocol, it has its limitations.

There, Michael, and Uncle Pug, hopefully that shed's light on the fact that I am not anti-DIR.

I am anti-nonsense. It is nonsense to believe that one way of doing things, anybody's way, is perfect for all situations.

IndigoBlue:
For open water non-penetration diving, it is a bit much, and it has major flaws for the open water. But it does make diving simpler, for those in the group who are following it.
I am anti-nonsense. It is nonsense to believe that one way of doing things, anybody's way, is perfect for all situations.

Can you elaborate on the "flaws for open water"...?

I'd be guessing - but I think you're referring to backplate, snorkel and the long hose topics you referred to in your previous post...?

Thanks to everyone for responding and keeping it civil. I'll probably check out a fundies class later this season or next yr. Will I go on with GUE and proceed to wreck/cave? Likely not. Probably NAUI or TDI for Adv Nitrox/Deco in the near term future - interests havn't gone off the deep end yet.. :)

netmage:
Can you elaborate on the "flaws for open water"...?

I'd be guessing - but I think you're referring to backplate, snorkel and the long hose topics...?

Thanks to everyone for responding and keeping it civil. I'll probably check out a fundies class later this season or next yr.

You're entering a world I made the mistake of entering. It won't go anywhere, I assure you :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom