DIR GUE and backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can agree with you on that completely (except the light loop part)

But you KNEW, deep in your heart, that this would happen as soon as you posted those pictures, didn't you? And some small part of you was just sitting there, waiting to relish in the glory of battle with the DIR hardcore. Don't try to deny it. :wink:

But you KNEW, deep in your heart, that this would happen as soon as you posted those pictures, didn't you? And some small part of you was just sitting there, waiting to relish in the glory of battle with the DIR hardcore. Don't try to deny it. :wink:

Frankly, had I noticed I was in the DIR forum, and had I not known the poster mentioning a particular issue, I wouldn't have posted it.

Could we get a DIR heretics forum for the unfaithful?

I'm thinking about adding these loops and trying it out.

I also use two, 3 c cell photon torpedo backups. At 6'1" they still feel "big" on my harness. I can't imagine them being at all comfortable on a smaller framed person. I haven't noticed them interfere with my canister though, but as Gombessa mentioned, I can't reach the switch if its snug against my plate.

Why make a 2 cell LED light when the 3 cell Scouts have proven reliability?
It has nothing to do with reliability. Size matters.

Why add a back-up light loop when bottles and snaps can be clipped to the same rings?
Yes why? When it does no use after you unclip the light and the original position of the clip doesn't hinder deco/stage bottles.

Why make a 2 cell LED light when the 3 cell Scouts have proven reliability?

Because a 3 c-cell Scout is longer than the distance from my chest d-ring to my plate?

No GUE instructor I have met considers 3 C-cells a requirement for any GUE courses (well, I guess I haven't talked about Tech 3 level courses). You and your team should determine what's necessary for the dive. Sometimes that's 3 C cells, sometimes that's another, equally reliable alternative.

Thinking divers. If the light is reliable, and the power source is reliable, and the form factor works with the rest of the system, I would imagine few people, if any, are going to refuse to dive with you.

It's not the number of C-cells that bothers me, it's that they're requiring a particular size of power source, when they should be specifying a set of performance requirements. The requirement for C-cells undoubtedly made sense at one time given the available lighting technologies and the required performance, but no longer does as there are now many ways to skin that particular cat. The spec might validly require a certain brightness, beam width, burn time, switch method and form factor, maybe even battery type, but specifying the battery _size_ to use to achieve these is no longer legitimate. I mean, how difficult is it to change the relevant requirements page?

Guy

It still is relevant if you have a team (team diving).

There has been a time or two when I have had to use my backup, surface, fix my light (or swap it out), and my buddy has handed me a fresh set of batteries from his save-a-dive kit. One set of batteries for 2 divers. Real convenient. Just like that, we're ready for another dive with minimal hassle.

I carry a spare bulb/reflector in my save-a-dive kit. It will fit a scout style (rat, whatever) light because the body diameter fits c-cells.

If you want to dive a cr123 powered light, thats fine. But for team diving in remote locations that require a fair bit of effort to plan, get to, and dive, simplicity and interchangeability are very important.

It still is relevant if you have a team (team diving).

There has been a time or two when I have had to use my backup, surface, fix my light (or swap it out), and my buddy has handed me a fresh set of batteries from his save-a-dive kit. One set of batteries for 2 divers. Real convenient. Just like that, we're ready for another dive with minimal hassle.

I carry a spare bulb/reflector in my save-a-dive kit. It will fit a scout style (rat, whatever) light because the body diameter fits c-cells.

If you want to dive a cr123 powered light, thats fine. But for team diving in remote locations that require a fair bit of effort to plan, get to, and dive, simplicity and interchangeability are very important.

So you're ok with cr123 batteries, or AA, or AAA, or whatever, as long as the team is standardized on it, and everyone is on the same page, and the light meets reliability, durability, light output and burn time requirements? I think the issue is specifying C batteries when there actually are, finally, lights on the market that are just as good (or better) than the Scout (and similar lights), but which use different batteries.

The advantage of the DIR system is that interchangeability is in effect with people who you don't know. If I come dive with you in California and we don't have this ability, we are both disadvantaged. Similarly, if I invite my old c1 classmate and friend from Britain to come dive with me at a remote location in the backwoods of Florida and he has something different, we are disadvantaged.

The goal here is to have the ability to dive and have fun will the least amount of fuss and hassle. While something like a backup light might seem rather trivial (and it is), having the ability to swap gear is quite important. Need a reg? I've got one. I need an inflator, oh you have one? Awesome. Need a stage? Mine's configured the same way as yours, no worries. The list goes on and on.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom