DIR GUE and backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cat is in a bad mood today, huh?

No.

Its just that the thinking that is going on behind the quote

I like people who make these sort of modifications, because it shows me they are thinking about their gear choices, and seeking optimization.

pretty much proves that there exists no true understanding of DIR.

No.

Its just that the thinking that is going on behind the quote

pretty much proves that there exists no true understanding of DIR.

I'd rather dive with someone who actually learns from experience, not just what they've read off the internet. I guess that rules me out of your club.

I'd rather dive with someone who actually learns from experience, not just what they've read off the internet. I guess that rules me out of your club.
<snicker>

BackplateWithBackups_IMG_4697-crop%20%28Small%29.jpg

They keep the lights up and out of the way a bit, and are tiny and can't really hurt anything. You'll never get them back in while UW, but that doesn't matter, just clip off the way you would have if you didn't have them, should you deploy your backup for some reason. If they ever failed (not likely) you'd just have your light in the exact same position as you would have without the loops. All upside, no downside. (well, 20 cents worth of bungee downside, perhaps)

As configured, I don't see why you need a short light in the first place. If you need it due to torso length, you are better off putting the short light on the right hand side where its conflicts less with the light canister.

I haven't ever used this little tweak, but I don't think two inches of cave line really impacts the team in any negative way either way. We always try to make the point that the DIR philosophy is about much more than just gear, and I think we give people the wrong impression when we criticize small gear customizations like this. I like people who make these sort of modifications, because it shows me they are thinking about their gear choices, and seeking optimization. A lot of people try these things out and figure out firsthand that they might not be ideal, which to me, is a lot more meaningful than just following standards without fully understanding them.

After a few more years (and knowing how to actually stow & deploy & restow backups) you'll understand that the original standard - minus any excess bungie is already optimal and scales up and down to any number of bottles and situations.

There was a guy in my Fundies class that showed up with something similar. During our equipment setup, the instructor said they weren't really necessary, especially at the fundies level without any stages clipped off, but that they weren't really anything that would impact the team. He didn't make a big deal out of it, and said it was his choice to leave them on or not, but the student cut them off his harness anyway.

The instructor is wrong. Not being able to remove a backup efficiently would be really really bad. Multiple reasons: You can't scooter if your backup is pointing down. You obviously couldn't hand it to a buddy (if it were stuck on that loop of bungie) or have them efficiently unclip it if your hands were full either (since they are unlikely to understand how the bungie is holding it back in the dark).

Skip the bungie loops or just go hogarthian and avoid the whole attempt at "modified DIR" please.

Just to confirm -- before my Cave 2 class, I reconfigured with two long lights to be compliant with equipment guidelines in the standards, and once I got there and was struggling with the lights, David told me, "Oh, you don't have to have 3 C-cell lights any more . . . " They still don't like switches, though (and I don't blame them!)

2 C-cell lights have been acceptable and in the standards for going on 3+ years now. If anything they should prohibit 2 & 3 C-cell halogens, those are like dim candles behind modern LED emitters.

As configured, I don't see why you need a short light in the first place. If you need it due to torso length, you are better off putting the short light on the right hand side where its conflicts less with the light canister.

Actually, I found that, for me, the short light actually interfered MORE with the canister, because it's the right height to flick the switch, unlike the longer light which extends below the top the the canister. That's why the short light is on the left side, where it won't cause a problem.

The PT is my "oh sh**" backup that never gets deployed outside of a true emergency (which has never happened), or drills. The tertiary backup is my general purpose loaner, which may be used topside (gearing up in the dark, etc), loaned to someone who needs a light, etc. It gets used more regularly, and the batteries are replaced more frequently (because they need to be). It uses less expensive batteries (AA) than the C-cell PT, so this works out well.

I dive solely open water, so the third backup light is not strictly required anyway, but I keep one on anyway for consistency's sake. That's the light gets swapped around and experimented with as new models come out that I want to test, etc. Various models have held that spot, in fact, I'm not even using the one pictured anymore, I'm using the Dorcy light at the moment (alongside the PT).

Actually, I found that, for me, the short light actually interfered MORE with the canister, because it's the right height to flick the switch, unlike the longer light which extends below the top the the canister. That's why the short light is on the left side, where it won't cause a problem.

Properly configured, the canister light switch is turned "on" by pushing back and backup lights (if anything) hold the switch closed not open. Some canister lights may have the switch installed backwards. I also see divers putting the lid on in reverse fairly frequently. Traditionally the cord goes on the outside to avoid line traps. Some of the newer recessed switch lids may avoid the line traps but sill need to have the switch oriented correctly to avoid the backup light conflict.

I dive solely open water.
You really don't need all those backups, nevermind the bungie loop modifications to manage them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom