DIR or Sorta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Shoot Rick... I've even got wheel barrow inner tube cut up in chunks... not to mention SS seizing wire and bundles of duct tape...
I should have known that... really...
Rick :) :) :)

Originally posted by WreckWriter
I too have the cool little zip-tie zipper tool
Oh Yeah, baby!!

Mine was courtesy of the Boeing Company...
(No I didn't steal it... I bought it at their surplus center)
Metal, adjustable, looks like a gun....
Heh!!!
I'm gonna get a holster for it.... and, and a pouch for ammo!
Hmmm... maybe not... folks are jumpy these days...

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Oh Yeah, baby!!

Mine was courtesy of the Boeing Company...
(No I didn't steal it... I bought it at their surplus center)
Metal, adjustable, looks like a gun....
Heh!!!
I'm gonna get a holster for it.... and, and a pouch for ammo!
Hmmm... maybe not... folks are jumpy these days...

Mine's the plastic home depot version. I bet yours cuts better, mine's kinda iffy on the cutting part.

Tom

DIR Curious.

(If I were single) This would be my singles ad:

SWM, 34, DIR-Curious. ISO SWF, similarly equipped. Should have her own backplate, wings and drysuit. A large vehicle with ample storage area for two divers is also encouraged, but not required, a boat is a definite bonus. Bungee is acceptable in certain applications only. Also...Must like and take the long hose when offered, or be willing to do so in kind.

Please include a photo of your gear with all responses.

Assuming strict DIR is WKPP.

Regarding equipment, I'm not too far off. I have my lift bag mounted to my plate under my right arm which isn't strict DIR and, depending on who you talk to, my argon bottle mounted to the left side of the plate isn't strict DIR. I use an Abyss Pro Kevlar TX drysuit instead of the DUI TLX50 cave cut. My pocket contents are different, which is no big deal. I also use double PST 95's instead of 104's that the WKPP require.

My deviations from strict DIR are more in the way of the other "rules". I'll dive with just about anyone on a recreational dive, which may not be in accordance with strict DIR. I've been known to dive solo on easy recreational dives. Aside from those minor things, I'm pretty close. I'd say that I'm about 93% there for equipment, and 90% there in the "rules".

All that said, it is my opinion that strict DIR is the best way to go. If one follows strict DIR to the letter, one would have to have a really bad day to get into serious trouble. I guess the trick is defining strict DIR. Is it GUE's definition or WKPP's/Irvine's? There are differences.

Mike

Well, my SPG is on a 26" hose and not a 24" hose. I like the little extra length. I don't think my Princeton Tec40 and PCa backup lights are DIR approved. I dive steel tanks with a wetsuit, because I do not have a dry suit yet. Oh, and yes, I can swim them up. I do not have a DIR knife, but instead have a dive rite small zknife on my webbing. My DiveRite SPG has a rubber boot on it. My crotch strap has one of those dreaded quick release buckles on it. :eek:

Wow, I am not very DIR am I? Well, maybe my Halcyon wings, and the fact that my harness is rigged to a DIR style can get me some brownie points?

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
I guess the trick is defining strict DIR. Is it GUE's definition or WKPP's/Irvine's? There are differences.

Mike

I guess my definition would be DIR according to George.

Tom

Originally posted by WreckWriter

I guess my definition would be DIR according to George.

Tom

Me too. I'm closer to strict DIR according to GUE than I am according to George. Since he coined it all, I guess it's up to him in the end. However, since GUE teaches DIR every day, then it can get kinda confusing for some people. I approach DIR in principle as well as the specifics.

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
according to George. Since he coined it all, I guess it's up to him in the end. However, since GUE teaches DIR every day, then it can get kinda confusing
Bingo!
Just trying to keep up with what really is "DIR" is a daunting, frustrating minefield of "authorities" who are likely to eschew today what they demanded yesterday...
sigh...
why bother?
Rick
I do not care to be assimilated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom