DIR setup critique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Identical 2nds are nice from a service/parts perspective but not required. As far as regs go almost any will work. The least desirable for backgas are probably the unbalanced pistons (like the SP Mk2) since the "spoked" design of the hose ports will create a rather annoying loop of hose bulging out to your shoulders on both sides.

The whole "deep reg" concept is not really applicable in DIR because any reg will breathe fine once you start adding helium to the mix. To start, just look for something which has been around awhile, has local parts/service, and decent hose routing.

hmm valid point, I have no idea what will be servicable while in thailand. Cheers!

hmm valid point, I have no idea what will be servicable while in thailand. Cheers!

If you plan to service yourself and use HOG(Diaphragm) regs, or APEKS then you can remove that part of the equation and service them yourself.

Piston first stages I think might be a little trickier, and some models of Scubapro require expensive/custom tools to service.

I've heard that Scubapro is well represented in Asia/Oceania. (If you don't wanna do it yourself).

And I think most manufacturers have special tools you have to buy, at least a couple. I can't think of any regs that can be serviced purely by "Craftsman" type hand tools, (at least CORRECTLY serviced).

Piston first stages I think might be a little trickier, and some models of Scubapro require expensive/custom tools to service.

They are very simple. About the only special tools would be a hook spanner, and maybe a spline wrench. About $45 between the two of them. Not really a long, or expensive, list. A ultrasonic cleaner is certainly a nice to have item too. But then there are a lot of nice to have items that you do not really need unless you are doing many regulators every day. The replaceable soft parts can be more of an issue if you do not have a cooperative supplier. Of course why bother with Scubapro if there are other quality suppliers that are not going to hassle you about providing spare parts.

Picked up:
a pair of OMS Slipstreams with spring straps
SS back plate, 30lbs DSS wing, hog harness
short blunt tip, half serrated SS knife and a benchmade 7 hook

Regs: going to wait to see if im going to Thailand or British Columbia to see what easily serviceable/parts available

Timer: If I do the training in BC im required to have a nitrox comp, so im probably going the the tec 2g so I have a nitrox comp for that and a gauge for DIR. Do instructors need a backup timer for teaching?

I was looking at putting my own bp/w together, but seems most single tank wings are big, like 38-40 lbs, which seems like a ridiculous amount of lift for a single AL tank setup. If I was going to get the halycons 30 lbs wing, for that cost i was thinking i would just get the whole setup from halycon.

That being said, whats a typical wing size for single AL tank diving in a say a 3mm shorty or 5mm max wet suit?

You do not need any for 3 mil :)

I think i saw 17lb that would be the best for that type of diving

Thanks for all the advice!

SS back plate it is.

I so want the liquivision, do i ever love OLED displays. I may end up with one.

still researching the regs, wondering if i should buy with cold water in mind for later, or cross that bridge when the time comes.

I would go with Apeks for Canada it will work perfect in warm water too

I'm not DIR; by any way. But I can tell you diving a SS BP in Asia is a chore. You're constantly over-weighted. Mine weighed in at 3kgs not including the old harness was also pretty heavy duty. I literally rocketed from the surface every time I deflated, it's a good job I can equalize fast.

I switched to a Al BP late last year and diving a single tank is a pleasure now. I still don't have to carry weight due to the low profile of the unit and I can comfortably use a 3mm shorty still without extra weight.

Also an AL will be easier to get in your luggage if you're planning out buying it before you head to Asia. At 700gms you barely notice it in you luggage.
If you do buy before you go. Look for a cheap unbranded BP. This is really one area where you don't need a name on your equipment. It's just metal. Some of the guys on the forum have even made their own. My personal one is nearly half the price of the Hollis, Dive Rite, Halycon's crowd and it copies their specifications. Why pay more?

That said look at Frog & Oxycheq for approximations of the Eclipse wing. They'll be markedly cheaper and you'll get the same effect. Oxcheq is quite easy to get in Asia. Frog I'm not so sure.

Not to go too far off topic, but you do not need to dump all of your air to descend. You are certainly not in a balanced rig, but there is never a reason to sink like a rock :)

Not to go too far off topic, but you do not need to dump all of your air to descend. You are certainly not in a balanced rig, but there is never a reason to sink like a rock :)

I think you missed the point.

I'm saying that diving a SS BP with no westuit means you are over-weighted at all times. Hence when I even let a small amount of air of my wing I would leave the surface like a rocket.

For me buying gear to go into a hostile environment is no where I want to be saving money. I want the best and will pay a few bucks more to have it. When I need it to work it's always up for the challenge.

Funny 98% of my gear has an H on it. :D
When my second metal power inflator pack-up, none of my tech gear would have H on it.
The first one(power inflator) was retired because I had to keep cleaning it, so easy to corrode, the tread on the body was eventually proved no match to the metal plunger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom