DIR: The Gathering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arnoldsaysDIRSoCal.jpg

We hosted a large gathering of SB folks last Fall. We did some local shore diving, Wreck Alley, the Coronados (Baja Norte), Channel Islands and a multi-day stay on Catalina which included both shore diving and boat dives. It was a huge success.

...and yes, the weather in the Fall is gorgeous here. The only potential concern is that the cyclonic activity in the Southern hemisphere and Tropics is peaking and pumping out solid ground swell energy. So shore diving at South facing can be iffy due to large surf. No worries, there are plenty of other options.

Ben_ca:
What's the run down again with bringing doubles on the ferry?

You can bring one set. The only issue is that some of the terminals only let you make one trip down the ramp. So you have to manage your tanks, gear, and luggage in one trip.

riguerin:
You can bring one set. The only issue is that some of the terminals only let you make one trip down the ramp. So you have to manage your tanks, gear, and luggage in one trip.

:eek:fftopic:

Sorry for interrupting your thread.....

Just wanted to ask about why they have that particular rule of making only one trip down the ramp. I've been to Catalina on those ferries, and it was nothing short of a nightmare trying to deal with my dive bag and tank.

It seems so inefficient if you're going really slowly, and you can zip around faster if you're allowed to break it down in two trips...I understand the lines being long, but still.........

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled program....

riguerin:

The dock nazis in Long Beach blow. They expect one and done. They're an irksome, inflexible lot.

Avoid LB terminal and get to Cat from San Pedro. SP has better parking, better exit from parking, better terminal entrance, better boat entrance (read: you line up indoors, not outside) and the whole place is staffed by a more laid back crew.

When in dubs, it takes only one trip anyway unless I bring the Deco Bottle. In a single it can take two as I don't wear the tank. (camera box, dive bag with clothes tank... two hands.)

SP is the only way to roll to Cat from L.A.

---
Ken

Catalina would be interesting, if we are doing it in California, the natural place may be Monterey . . . not so far for people driving from up north (or flying) and not too bad from LA. October in California has always been my favorite time . . .

We would love to host... but I'm afraid we might not get as many "good vis" dives as we would want...

Pros:
Close to the Mo Cal crew... (approx number 20 ish on SB + BAUE guys)
Between LA and Seattle
Plenty of Tech 1 shore dives
Plenty of gear for loaners
Lot's of dining, evening entertainment
Lot's of X-Scooters (even a couple of Gavins for you masochists)
we got a nice aquarium...

Cons:
Expensive Lodging (probably same as Catalina)not that many people live in town
No GSB's or Six gills
Vis might be iffy (pretty good at depth though)
Dive sites spread out over peninsula...

Ben_ca:
:lol: of course you're invited Jeff :)
Well, I did dive a Meg tonight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom